My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Old address still showing up in SERP

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We moved our business into a new office in Washington. Previously we worked out of Arizona.

But for a long time our old office address was showing up in Google search results.

Our business name is,

Blueocean Market Intelligence

Old Location: Scottsdale, AZ
New Location: Redmond, WA

So we followed the instructions mentioned here for moved business: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4578106

We could succesfully mark old location as permanently closed.

Then we created a local Google+ page with new location. We connected this location page with the brand page that we already had.

https://plus.google.com/+Blueoceanmiblueocean/ (verified local business)

Problem:

Despite doing this correctly and verifying the business with new address, still it seems to be not updated properly in Google.

When searched for our business name from US,

1) Some of our visitors see old address (marked as permanently closed)
2) some of them see no address at all
3) some of them see correct address (logged-in and logged-out)

We really don't want our visitors to see 'permanently closed' result in SERP.
Kindly Help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Old address still showing up in SERP

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
How I see it is, Google requires a level of trust in order to show the knowledge panel on the right hand side. This is why a lot of new businesses can't get the knowledge panel instantly. Currently in the eyes of Google you appear to have two addresses. I understand you have marked your old Google+ as closed but have you done the same thing for all of your directory listings? If you have a high amount of listings for your old address and a low amount for your new address, Google will have more trust in the old compared to the new.

Hopefully this will work for you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ryan,

Yes, there are few citations for the old address, including couple of strong ones like yellowpages.
Do you think, updating those will help our situation?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Most definitely. Stick this command into Google (including quote marks): "Blueocean Market Intelligence" "85254"

This should list most of the directories. I would recommend you get these either removed or updated and give it a month or two to see the full impact of the updates.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ryan. Sure, we'll be updating all the possible listings.

Besides this, is there any way to expedite the process? Can we call Google to resolve this?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately not, there is nothing that Google can do to help.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey there Andrea, If I am understanding the question correctly and your looking to expedite pin verification, you could go to https://www.gybo.com/wa/redmond/partners and see the list of Google Partners on the bottom of the page. They can all expedite the verification process for you (usually a couple days).
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Mike H

You seem not understanding the issue @Andrea L was talking about.

Her business at the new Address is already verified.

Her issue is that 

Despite doing this correctly and verifying the business with new address, still it seems to be not updated properly in Google.

When searched for her business name from US,

1) Some of our visitors see old address (marked as permanently closed)
2) some of them see no address at all
3) some of them see correct address (logged-in and logged-out)

She really don't want their visitors to see 'permanently closed' result in SERP. (which is based on the old address)
Facit: She isn't asking about verification but getting the new address preferrable shown up instead of the old and closed location.

As far as I noticed and addressing now this  to @Andrea L:

Searching for  "Blueocean Market Intelligence AZ" will show the old and closed location

while 

searching "Blueocean Market Intelligence WA" or "Blueocean Market Intelligence Redmond" will show the new and verified location - this is based on that G+ page: plus.google.com/+Blueoceanmiblueocean

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler Thanks Helmut for precisely explaining my concerns.

I have been editing few of our old local listings to show our new address but still Google is not picking it up.
Most of our visitors say that they see the old 'permanently closed' location when they search for company name.

I hope to see some progress on this.