My Business
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Not receiving email notifications for new reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MargaretO! I am having the same trouble! I have not received any review notifications recently. I used to on a daily basis then all of the sudden nothing. Can you please assist? Thank you so much!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Zoe

First thing, confirm your email settings are on -

To enable or disable review notifications:

Mobile:

1. Open the Google My Business app.
  2. Click on the upper right hand menumenu > Settings > Name_of_your_business
  3. Touch Notifications > Reviews
  4. Check or uncheck the box to turn review notifications on or off.

Computer:

1. Sign in to Google My Business and choose your business.
  2. Choose My Business > Settings from the left-hand navigation ribbon.
  3. Scroll to "Receive notifications" and check or uncheck the box next “Reviews” to turn review notifications on or off. 

If it's turned on then...

Was this listing "bulk" verified, or was it done individually with a postcard or some such method?

If the flag is turned on - can you confirm the user level? 
https://support.google.com/business/answer/4573962

And finally, if you're still having trouble can you reply with answers to the above PLUS

1. Full business name
2. Current business address
3. Current telephone number
4. Google Maps address
5. Website address (if applicable)

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Same issue here.  For about two weeks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MargaretO

Thank you so much for your reply!

Yes, our notifications are turned on. This happened suddenly. We used to receive email notifications that would take us straight to the review and then one day they stopped. 

Our listings are bulk verified. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Zoes K,

Just to clarify - the listings have been receiving review notifications for a long time - not just in the last month or so?

The reason I'm asking for the clarification, is that bulk verified listings were never intended to receive notifications.  Then a whoopsie happened, and some businesses were bombarded with review notifications (ie biz that have thousands of locations). There was understandably an uproar, and Google fixed the whoopsie.

If the listings were verified as bulk, theoretically you shouldn't have received notifications at all (excluding the whoopsie).

But it sounds like you *do* want the notifications.

At this stage Google doesn't have that functionality - only individually verified listings receive notifications.

So we would need to unverify the listings and reverify one at a time.

Since this is an unusual circumstance, would you mind doing an experiment with me?  Let's pick two listings to unverify and reverify, not all.  If this works, then you'll have a solution - if not, then I'll escalate to Google to find another way.

Pick two locations that receive reviews often enough to know in a couple of days whether the experiment works.  Contact Google Support - if you're located in the US you can call support.  Otherwise, this will be initated online.

1- log into your Google my business dashboard http://www.google.com/mybusiness
2- select support from upper left hamburger menu
3- a help screen will appear to the right
4- Scroll down and select Need More Help
5- Select the specific problem  (in your case, verification, other problem)

6- Choose most appropriate contact method for you (some are not always available).  Depending on the time of day (and your location), you can get caught in an endless loop with help articles.  If so, try another method (below) or another time.

Alternatively you can try contacting them:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/googlemybusiness
Twitter https://twitter.com/GoogleMyBiz

Or if you have US based calling you can try one of these two numbers:
844-442-8695 & 844-491-9665

Once you're speaking with a rep, explain what we're doing and why.  This will be "outside the box", so be patient.  We want them to unverify two locations, then if they can, re-verify them - but not as "bulk" verified. 

If they can do it all in one call, brilliant.  If not, then simply unverifying and waiting for the postcards will suffice.

Since you have more than 200 locations (according to Wikipedia), this is a lot to do manually, so I'm wanting to see if we can get Google support to make this easier on us all.

Post back and let me know how you go.  

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for you help! I spoke with Google this morning and I was told to add myself to each location as a manager. However, when I went to accept the invitation, I'm being told that I'm already a manager. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Whaaa?

So if you go to a listing via the list view, on the right hand column you'll see a section titled "who has access", you're already there - yes?  If so, then the support agent has not given you the best advice.

If that's the case, try support again.  Hopefully you'll get a different agent, and they'll understand what you're trying to do. 

If not, post back again and I'll escalate this internally to see if we can come up with a resolution.  You're not the only business who has requested this. 

Find me on · · my blog

Re: Not receiving email notifications for new reviews

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Zoes K

One quick question - do you have more than 100 listings on the account?

If so, that's two strikes against notifications.

Would be interested to know if support were able to give you a way around this.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MargaretO! Actually, I have had THE WORST time with support. ZERO help. Each time I call, I get a different answer. I was told it was because some of our locations need updated, however this has been going on for over a month now, so we should be getting *something*. I even checked our Gmail account, nothing. 

I created a personal GMB account, added myself personally as a manager to all 230 locations, I've updated our locations that needed it, and we are STILL not getting notifications. 

I was told Friday morning that it could be a glitch with Gmail and I was given a phone number for Gmail support. However, when I called it was not a good number. I called back support and explained again how I was told that it was on Gmail's end and that the number I was given wasn't good. Then I was told there is no gmail phone support so they have no idea what number I was given. At this point, I requested to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor told me that I needed to update our locations and that was the problem.

Extremely frustrated at this point as GMB has provided no clear solution, this has been going on for over a month now, and even Twitter GMB support has not gotten back to me. This is a major part of my job and I'm extremely disappointing with the lack of a clear solution or help with the GMB phone support.

Re: Not receiving email notifications for new reviews

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Bethany D@Zoes K@Carolyn H

I'm confused here.

How many people are on this thread about the same business?

@Bethany D
If you have 230 listings, you will not receive notifications because the account has more than 100.  See previous response.
It is not a Gmail issue, it's not an update issue. It's how GMB accounts are set up.

I'm happy to take this forward to Google as a requested feature, but I don't know whether this is 3 biz that want this or one?

Find me on · · my blog