My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Not appearing in local maps search, ranked below closed business??

Sal
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Sal
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
  1. Double Down II Fishing Charters
  2. 357 W Front St, Keyport NJ 07735
  3. 908-915-6416
  4. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Double+Down+II+Charter+Fishing/@40.4361282,-74.2136465,17z/data=!3...
  5. https://www.doubledown2.com

My business is not appearing in search for extremely targeted searches, like "keyport nj fishing charter". In fact, a closed business is ranked above mine. I understand my SEO might need work, but there are very few fishing charters in keyport nj, so it seems strange that my listing isn't appearing in the Google local map (the one at the top of the search results page).

Can someone check and see if everything is done properly and I haven't made any mistakes? Thank you

Sal
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Sal
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would appreciate any advice from @Google local team!

Re: Not appearing in local maps search, ranked below closed business??

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sal. The internet marketer in me may go off the question slightly here but

1- When I look at the business listing I see that it is unclaimed. You should claim it and verify it. Click "own this business" on the link you provided.

2- You have schema errors on you webpage that should be fixed like paragraph elements lingering in your description. And your address isn't formatted properly. It should be broken down further streetAddress, addressLocality, addressRegion, and postalCode, not just your address in one line.

3- I see you listed as #13 in organic but not in the maps. Claiming the business and adding the correct information about your business should help with this. I see a bunch of similar businesses all within the same cluster so add all information Google asks for from pictures to hours etc.

4- On your directions page instead of having the black and white map embed the actual google map of your business.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d12147.073381540307!2d-74.22020723188541!3d40.4..." width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5- In your footer your address is "Brown's Point Marina, Keyport, NJ, 07735" and it links to the google map for that business. You should have your name address and phone number be consistent on all of your website, google my business, social media, etc. I also now note seeing this with another business at the same address which is already claimed (Browns Point Marina) This may cause additional issues but I would recommend all the above for sure.

Sal
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Sal
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks! Awesome to get another set of eyes on this. 

1 & 3) The business is pending verification. I guess this takes a few week?

2) Will investigate! Fixed the address and see obvious stuff.

4) Fixed. Good call on the Google Maps. That black one is the built-in widget.  

5) Fixed this as well. I could see how Google would see it as confusing, especially when the marina is it's own business listing and some competitors with similar names share that same address!

I'm perplexed as to the lack of including in Google Maps local results, but hopefully claiming will help. I'm also confused about the low organic rank for highly targeted searches, but the business has been focused on word of mouth so online efforts are lagging. 

Thanks again!