My Business
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

No category for my business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no category for my business which is home design - no residential design, house design, home plans, house plans or anything else which is related to home design. Am I out of luck? This seems incredibly stupid. Anyone have an answer? The similar questions I have looked at have provided no answers.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: No category for my business

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello @Kris M!

When selecting categories in your My Business profile, Google prefers businesses to define WHO they are, not what they do.

In other words, Google recommends finishing the statement: "This business IS an interior decorator" (I'm not sure if this is what you are, but for the sake of the example we'll say so) rather than "this business DOES 'residential design, house design, home plans'. . .". 

Interior decorator is a category that I believe would work for your situation. If not, a helpful tool for category selection (as you can have up to 9 categories) is this list of synonyms for categories within Google. I typically open up the search tool (ctrl + F for windows or cmd + F for Mac) in my browser and find as many relevant categories as I can.

If you can't find your specific trade, try to get as close as you possibly can using the list. It is stated in the guidelines that this is okay.

Side note- Google will also look at the website connected to your My Business profile to find out more information about your business. So even if you can't find your exact category be sure to have as much information about your services as possible on your site.

I hope this helps.

Happy Thanksgiving!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kris,

Check out this tool to see what the closest options are - http://blumenthals.com/Google_LBC_Categories

Google frequently adds new categories. In the meantime, ensure that your website is well optimized for the search terms that you want to show up for. Make sure to also take advantage of adding relevant categories on 3rd party business directories like Yelp, YP's, Facebook...etc. Google looks to them to better understand your business, much like it looks to the categories in the GMB dashboard.

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"Google prefers businesses to define WHO they are, not what they do" This is an incomprehensible statement. I am a "Home designer". I do house plans. They are all the same words. I have googled all the synonyms I can think of and there is nothing close. "Interior design" is definitely not related to what I do or am. I am sorry if I seem short but I would like to have my business show up on the maps but there is no category for me and no opportunity to create the right one. Maybe I'm out of luck? --- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Kris, the advice Craig gave you is straight out of the Google Quality Guidelines. That's Google's rule and all we can do is learn to make the most out of it.

The most important advice is the stuff that I think you overlooked. The GMB dashboard is just one source of information about the business. And it's not even always the most authoritative. Scan all the top directory sites and optimize the categories there. Then dig into the website and make sure that it has all the right signals for Google.
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Kris M

Try to find as close a category as possible. In addition, as @Colan and I have recommended, list as much information about your business and services on your website as possible.

Good luck! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you both for your comments. I have two issues which may have no resolution - 1) My competitors in this area have the category 'Drafting Services" which I could live with. Google does not allow me to pick this category but has only "Drafting Service Center" which is slightly confusing. It appears that this is my only option. The bigger problem is that I believe most people will not use these words when searching for house plans. I have all the words I can think of which I believe people would use in a search for my services on my website but this category issue is somewhat frustrating.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Kris M

"1) My competitors in this area have the category 'Drafting Services" which I could live with. Google does not allow me to pick this category but has only "Drafting Service Center" which is slightly confusing. It appears that this is my only option."

That is interesting if that is the case. I just checked and "Drafting Service" is absolutely an option for me within the current selection of Categories. I will have to defer to @Colan on why you would be getting a different set of options than me.

(2)"The bigger problem is that I believe most people will not use these words when searching for house plans. I have all the words I can think of which I believe people would use in a search for my services on my website but this category issue is somewhat frustrating."

Google will pull from a variety of sources to determine how you will rank in its search results. Here is some ranking information on how to get better visibility/placement for your business in Google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Drafting services definitely appears in the lists from the link you mentioned. Drafting services center does not appear in those lists. The options presented by Google are the exact opposite for me. A puzzle.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Kris M

Could you perhaps provide a screenshot of your Category options for "Drafting Service" within Goggle My Business?