My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

New business in our old location is showing up in map listing for our search results

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I represent Sparrow Stylin' Salon, a business that moved from 1309 22nd St, Denver, CO 80205 to 403 16th St Ste 300, Denver, CO A new salon opened up at our old address. Now when you search for Sparrow Stylin' Salon the new business "The Edge Salon and Boutique" shows up as our map listing and has our salon reviews listed as their salon reviews. 

We have verified our new address through Google Business (via postcard code), indicated we moved and updated all of our new business information.

While having them show up as our map listing is bad enough, having reviews we have gained over the years attributed to them is heartbreaking. 

Here is our Google Maps URL: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sparrow+Stylin'+Salon/@39.743547,-104.9917707,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m...

Phone number: (720) 933-5460

See picture below for what's happening.

Sparrow search with comments.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New business in our old location is showing up in map listing for our search results

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It's kind of replicable for me

But I figured out bit more:

Searching for this red query  "Sparrow Stylin' Salon" Denver 80202 I get you correctly -  while searching for the slightly different red query (note the missing quotes) Sparrow Stylin' Salon Denver 80202 I get the "The Edge Salon and Boutique" despite of the fact the "edge salon" is at a different ZIP: Denver  80205

Question: when did you  moved and when did you create and veified the listing for your new address?

New business in our old location is showing up in map listing for our search results

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

So what I would assume happened is that The Edge Salon and Boutique verified your old location and just updated the business name + phone number.  Thus they would have kept all your reviews.  Before assuming that and escalating this for Google to fix, can you confirm a couple things:

1. Did you ever verify/claim your listing at your old address when you guys were there? If not, it was probably sitting around unverified and it could be easy for the new business to claim it since they get mail at the address.

2.  When you moved, did you change phone #s or keep the same one? If you changed phone #s, please list the old phone number. 

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. No. You are correct. Before the move, the business was listed correctly and the business was unaware it should have done that. I agree that's probably what happened. 

2. The new number is 720-933-5460. The old number is 303-297-8463.

Thanks for your help on this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for looking into this.

The move happened April 1. We verified the new address with Google on April 28.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Travis H

No problem, I'll submit an escalation asking Google to move the reviews over.  I'll let you know when I hear back.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual