My Business
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

New and don't undrstand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

PATS Inc.

4601 W. Saginaw 

Lansing, MI 48917

I was informed that my business had a google page with our information, some of it incorrect.  I logged on to verify that it was my business.  I would like to know:

1.  Who created the Google Business for us?

2.  Do I have any control over poor reviews?

3.  Can I take down the google business for good?  I don't need any business from the internet and see poor reviews as a detriment I have no control over.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: New and don't undrstand

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

For anyone else taking a look, here's a link to the business page in question:
https://plus.google.com/111394742764763977037/about

Hi @Betsy, Welcome to the forum, I think I've got the answers to some of your questions. 

First of all, Google's primary goal pretty much across the board is to connect searchers with the information they're looking for. If someone's looking for a particular business, Google's interested in making sure they connect you with that Business' information, whether or not the business owner thought to make a profile for themselves. So Google will actually create profiles for business that they see existing elsewhere... they'll pull from other business directories (Think Yellow Pages and such) and will even potentially pull from Government Business licenses.

You don't have a huge amount of control over poor reviews. If the review breaks Google's guidelines it can be possible to contact Google and ask that the review be removed, but you'll need to have a good reason and a fair bit of proof for why the review should be taken down. Generally in the US you're going to hit a dead end there. 

If you log into your business though (I see you have a verified business, so as long as you have the login you should be able to go to google.com/business and edit your business there) you'll at least be able to respond to reviews publicly, to help mitigate some of the damage. Instructions for that are here. As with all PR, it's important to write it in a way that'll make you look good when potential customers read your response. You can also bury the bad reviews by asking satisfied customers to go and leave you reviews on Google. If you're interested in going that route, it's a little bit of a pain now to get a good link to send customers to... you can make a good link that'll work here

As far as whether or not you can remove your profile... unfortunately, no. Like I said above, Google's first and foremost interest is in serving their user base. If someone wants to find out about your business and read more about it, Google wants to make sure it has information to show them. I know it doesn't seem very fair as a business owner, but your best bet is to just try and get a few more good reviews to bury the bad ones and then just keep an eye on it. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.