My Business
6.9K members online now
6.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Need to change a business Google Plus page or vanity url

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've just taken over a business that already has a Google My Business listing and a Google Plus page. The My Business listing is good, but the GooglePlus page has custom url that is wrong. For example:

The business is called Electrical Web Solutions, but the Google Plus url is "BetterBusinessGroupToronto" which is obviously wrong and can cause some confusion. 

Two questions:

1. As I have access to the GooglePlus page, is it possible to change the vanity url?

2. If that is not possible, can I set up a new Google Plus page and connect that one to replace the existing one.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin

Electrical Web Solutions Inc.

105 Alberta Ave,
Toronto, Ontario, M6H 2R7

Tel: 647-972-1066

https://plus.google.com/b/114557551179650676248/+BetterBusinessGroupToronto

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Need to change a business Google Plus page or vanity url

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Colin,

There's no way to change a custom URL - this is assigned automatically by Google, and users have no control over them (other than accepting or not accepting the original offer).

Before I answer question 2, could you please answer a question for me? Why the massive name change from Better Business Group to Electrical Web Solutions?

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Priya,

Thanks for the quick response:-)

I suspected #1 was not possible.

As for #2 - The original owner was from the electrical industry but started out as a business consultant. He was getting a lot of business for electrical websites, so decided to change the business name to concentrate only on electrical websites. He apparently just decided to use the existing G+ page he'd originally set up.

As the new owner, I would like to have everything perfect, so I'm unhappy that the My Business listing is pointing to a different G+ url from the business name.

Thanks again for your help.

Colin

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Colin,

My apologies for the delayed response :)

So, you purchased the business under the new name, and got access to the G+ page as part of the asset transfer? Have you moved business address at all as a result of the purchase?

I'm sorry for the additional questions, just trying to work out some options here.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No worries about the delay - I appreciate your help.

Yes, I got all the digital assets and the address is still the same.

I'm okay deleting the existing G+ page and starting from scratch, but when I started to do that, it looks like I'd be deleting the whole Google My Business page, so I chickened out.

Do you know if when deleting a business G+ page, it deletes just the G+ page or does it delete the whole My Business listing?

Thanks again for your help:-)

Colin

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Colin,

Deleting the page will simply remove it from your dashboard - it will stay in the Local database as an unverified listing (meaning you can't update hours, respond to reviews etc).

My suggestion is to contact GMB support via https://support.google.com/business/contactflow and explain that you've bought the business and the name has changed. Ask if it is possible to have the Google+ URL changed as a result.

Even if you don't get it changed I wouldn't get too upset about it - the direct Google+ page is hardly accessible at all by the regular user. The information contained in the page is distributed instead to the various Google properties including search and Maps.