My Business
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Need help correcting wrong location and business information when searching for my business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here in Fargo, ND, we have a bike share system with one HQ office, 425 Broadway N, and 11 stations around town. One of the stations is listed as Fercho YMCA station and our office number. Of course, this corresponds to the actual station present at that location, however people looking for the YMCA are directed to our number. I have made many suggested changes to the location, but nothing has changed yet. Our office is getting called all day with people expecting to talk to YMCA, and we need that to stop.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeffrey E
April 2016

Re: Need help correcting wrong location and business information when searching for my business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

For anyone else taking a look:

The Fercho YMCA Station is an unclaimed listing:
https://plus.google.com/108655527088107671677

The business headquarters is a claimed listing called "Great Northern Bicycle Company"
https://plus.google.com/105873087556765037406/about

@Jeffrey E, I can imagine you're running into problems, given that the name is so different than what it should be. According to Google's Guidelines:
Any additional information, when relevant, can be included in other sections of your business information (e.g., "Address", "Categories"). Adding unnecessary information to your name (e.g., "Google Inc. - Mountain View Corporate Headquarters" instead of "Google") by including marketing taglines, store codes, special characters, hours or closed/open status, phone numbers, website URLs, service/product information, location/address or directions, or containment information (e.g. "Chase ATM in Duane Reade") is not permitted.:

The best way to change business information is NOT by suggesting an edit. Any edits made that way have to be manually approved by a moderator on map maker. You can see the business listing on map maker here, and you can see there's 4 pending edits (everything from address changes, to flat out requesting the removal of the listing). If you want there to still be a listing at for the YMCA bicycle location, and you can receive mail at 1st Ave S, Fargo, ND 58103, you should try and claim and verify the listing and get the business name changed to reflect your real business name. 

Alternatively, if you can't receive mail there and you just want the calls to stop and you don't care if people can't find your YMCA location, your best bet is probably to get a map maker mod to OK the changes you've made. Some of the TCs here would be able to help you with that. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Need help correcting wrong location and business information when searching for my business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wonderful, that helped clarify everything. I would very much like a moderator to approve the deletion of the site. It would be the only option since we can not receive mail at that location. Can anyone help with that?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

To get someone to approve the edits you've made, your best bet would be to post on the map maker forum and ask someone there to approve your edits. If they see this post, I know that @JoyHawkins or @Colan could probably get you squared away too. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Unfortunately I couldn't approve any of the edits that were there as they were pending Google moderation but I was able to submit edits of my own that published right away. The business name has been fixed and shouldn't show up for YMCA anymore.

I would suggest you undo all your pending edits in MapMaker. They're going to get denied. You can't remove the listing, just fix it.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, the listing needs to be removed since it is not an actual location. It is the equivalent to a road sign. There should be no location posted for any of our stations. How can we get it removed?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I'm talking to one of the MapMaker TCs right now who has asked Google to clarify if these are mappable or not. There is a category for bike sharing stations on MapMaker. I know they probably wouldn't qualify for Google My Business since they are not staffed locations but as long as Maps allows them, you won't be able to get them removed.

I'd suggest posting over on the MapMaker forum if you have further concerns about it.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual