My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Need a History Lesson: 1st Why did Google-My-Business and Google Plus separate???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok I did not use Google my business for a few months and I come back to find the biz page is not the same it was before. I used to put on there news articles from CNN, FOX ETC.....This helped to get my viewership up but now they tell me you need a Google Plus page to post articles for the community and followers...My purpose is to generate hits to generate Google pushing me up the search engine=potential new business=check.  Question how do you make a google+page from your google my business page any help would be appreciated and why did Google my biz and plus separate together they were like Sonny and Cher (Bad analogy) they wound up divorced

1 Expert replyverified_user

Need a History Lesson: 1st Why did Google-My-Business and Google Plus separate???

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Google+ is more of a community social media section of Google that has turned out to not be competing well with Facebook. It sounds like you are working to optimize your Google My Business page to show well on the maps for local search. Is that your goal? 

To set up a Google+ page this link will get you started https://www.google.com/intl/en/about/products/

you can scroll down and find the link sing in with your account e-mail and set up the account. It seems to me that it is very popular with SEO community.  A large range of content can be posted there but would not directly affect your rank of your listing for your business listing. Getting reviews can help more with you business page rankings.

David W Cox, Google My Business Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |

Re: Need a History Lesson: 1st Why did Google-My-Business and Google Plus separate???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes that is my goal I used to post news articles on the google my business
page
Because it generated views and boosted me up the search engines to get more
calls and generate business. So Google's plus is more social media stuff?

Re: Need a History Lesson: 1st Why did Google-My-Business and Google Plus separate???

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

After I posted this I did some more looking around and found a change that they made just for you. It is the ability to create posts on your business. Here is a link to the introduction and it is now active in my account so will be trying it in minutes. Check it out "Make your business stand out on Google with Posts"https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/News-Updates/Make-your-business-stand-out-on-Google-with-P...

Also here is the link for how to post. https://support.google.com/business/answer/7342169?hl=en&_ga=2.128386700.1246855325.1498404849-43292.... They say it is for events, products, and services.  For services, I would think posting lots of before and after shots would be a must and also help with seo for the listing. Best of all they say that Once you’ve published a post, it will appear to customers on Google Search and Maps in a few moments.  So it would only make sense to me to experiment with posting on this a lot to see how it affects traffic with both pictures and key terms related to the business. I would assume that being active in this will give participants a real edge since most owners have very static listings and do not have time to post a lot. Please let me know what you find the effect is if you try it. I certainly will.

So the answer is history has come full circle and this was announced yesterday 6/26/2017. So people doing SEO for local companies will now be very busy if it does boost interaction with the users and increase ranking. Very interesting.

I tried this by making a post and it shows up immediately on my listing page plus you can link to the specific part of your website that is relevant to the post. They limit of text is  300 words but certainly, it gets a lot of content on the posting. I am going to do a number today and see how it works, like how it handles showing a number of posts at a time. Or scrolls to more posts. This has to make an individual listing stand out with relevant good quality pictures or graphics for the listing.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

I tried the new post system and it looks like it shows multiple posts so can show both text and pictures for the business page. Will be interesting how much can be accumulated there. Check it out I think you will like it! Let me know.