My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My reviews not showing up on Google Maps general searches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Business name: Smiles Of Virginia Family Dental Center

Address: 1220 Amherst St, Winchester, VA, 22601

Phone: 540-450-2100

Google Maps URL: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Smiles+of+Virginia+Family+Dental+Center/@39.190504,-78.1854597,17z...

If you search maps.google.com using the full business name for Smiles of Virginia Family Dentistry, you'll see everything show up fine.

But that the business name doesn't show in general area searches (e.g. Amherst Street, Winchester, VA). All my competitors does. I got way more reviews than them, like 100+ more reviews. Is my listing wrong. I even had to use an embed code for google maps on my website to get it to show up correctly on my own website. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey @Niels Ø

So it appears like your business is filtered.  Google has a filter in place in the local results that filters out businesses that are similar to other businesses that are ranking.  This is usually based on:

1.  The address (so businesses close by)

2.  The phone # (if more than 1 listing uses the same phone number)

3.  The website (if more than 1 listing uses the same website)

In your case it's #1 and the listing I believe that is causing you to be filtered is Winchester Dental Care since they are very close to your office.  There are also a few other listings that I'm seeing that are getting filtered because of them as well.

For more information on this, see #2 on this article I wrote: http://searchengineland.com/everything-need-know-googles-possum-algorithm-update-258900

The unfortunate thing is to get unfiltered you generally have to figure out what you can do better than the listing that caused you to be filtered.  Essentially you have to "beat them" at Local SEO and then they become filtered and you become unfiltered.  Not the best scenario, I know. 

Keep in mind there are hundreds of ranking factors so it's rarely just 1 thing you need to do. For example, it definitely does not come down to who has the most reviews. If ranking was that easy I probably wouldn't have a job ;)

In your case, one thing I did notice right away is that you have the wrong primary category if your main keyword you want to rank for is related to "dentist".  Change your primary category in Google My Business from "Dental Clinic" to "Dentist" and wait a few days to see if this has any impact. 

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried changing my primary category from Dental Clinic to Dentist. I will see what happens. Since we are 3 dentist i thought dental clinic was better but i will give this a try.