My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My client uses a PMB

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a new client who wants me to set up G+ for him. He wants to develop his real estate investment business that he has operated from home. Because he has kids and a wife at home, he doesn't want his home address advertised.  He isn't ready for a storefront, but forecasts that by the end of the year(another address change). Until then he is using a Private Mail Box(PMB) like at UPS stores. There is an address associated with it, but I've heard mixed info about using these things with G+.  Is a PMB with the UPS stores address OK to use?  Or is there a better suggestion?   Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: My client uses a PMB

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

PO Boxes like that are against Google's TOS, and they can get the account shut down, or at the very least, penalized. 
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

Relevant text:

• Use the precise address for the business rather than broad city names or cross-streets. P.O. Boxes are not considered accurate physical locations.

if your client doesn't actually meet his clients at home though, then he's not supposed to be using his address anyway. Service area businesses are required to have address marked as 'hidden'. I think even if he does meet customers at his house, if it's by appointment only, he still needs to be listed with his address hidden (since there's currently no way to list hours as 'by appointment only')... though don't quote me on that specific piece of info. 

There's some ins and outs for setting things up properly when you have to deal with a hidden address (I've heard mixed things on what parts of the NAP to display on your site... nearby crossroads being one suggestion at least) and it'll also limit your options for citation building. Here's a list of places to start with:
    http://www.localvisibilitysystem.com/2013/04/22/private-local-citations-where-can-you-list-your-busi...

But that list is super out of date at this point, so expect to have to do a little wrestling. If it was me personally, I'd get him all the most important citations that allow you to have a hidden address, and then focus on backlink building so you don't have quite as much cleanup to do when he moves. 
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

PO Boxes like that are against Google's TOS, and they can get the account shut down, or at the very least, penalized. 
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

Relevant text:

• Use the precise address for the business rather than broad city names or cross-streets. P.O. Boxes are not considered accurate physical locations.

if your client doesn't actually meet his clients at home though, then he's not supposed to be using his address anyway. Service area businesses are required to have address marked as 'hidden'. I think even if he does meet customers at his house, if it's by appointment only, he still needs to be listed with his address hidden (since there's currently no way to list hours as 'by appointment only')... though don't quote me on that specific piece of info. 

There's some ins and outs for setting things up properly when you have to deal with a hidden address (I've heard mixed things on what parts of the NAP to display on your site... nearby crossroads being one suggestion at least) and it'll also limit your options for citation building. Here's a list of places to start with:
    http://www.localvisibilitysystem.com/2013/04/22/private-local-citations-where-can-you-list-your-busi...

But that list is super out of date at this point, so expect to have to do a little wrestling. If it was me personally, I'd get him all the most important citations that allow you to have a hidden address, and then focus on backlink building so you don't have quite as much cleanup to do when he moves. 
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I think I might have worded that a little confusing, just in case:
- do use his home address. 
- mark his address as hidden. 

Anyway, hope that was helpful.