My Business
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My business is not peramemtly closed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm a total internet noob, and very new to Google my business so I apologize in advance if the answer is staring me in the face.
My business appears to the right side when Googling my business name.

Highfields Garden Centre

1) Does Google do this automatically or did a "person" somewhere create this (I sure didn't) ?

2) This "listing" regularly has incorrect information, and I suggest an edit and it's fixed, then it's straight back to incorrect in a couple of days.  - Today I find that my business is listed as Permanently Closed. The only thing it seems I can do is "report" this, which I have.

3) How do I gain control of this page/tile/info so I can directly change and edit this info ? If somebody else owns or controls this how do I stop it ? I feel like I'm just a member of the public in regards to my own businesses information that's listed.

4) What's stopping my competition from messing with this information and suggesting incorrect edits to divert my customers away from me ?

Thank you in advance. 

Matthew.

Business Name - Highfields Garden Centre

Address - 9 Recreation Reserve Rd Highfields Qld 4352

Phone - 0746308548

Google+ URL - https://plus.google.com/107954913125478979102/about

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My business is not peramemtly closed.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Matthew B wrote:

Hello,

I'm a total internet noob, and very new to Google my business so I apologize in advance if the answer is staring me in the face.
My business appears to the right side when Googling my business name.

Highfields Garden Centre

1) Does Google do this automatically or did a "person" somewhere create this (I sure didn't) ?

This is a Google Map Maker link for your feature : Highfields Garden Centre 

Looking at the history on the feature (rightmost tab), there appear to be multiple edits from "Google". This can mean one of two things : 

a) Edits are being made from the Google My Buisness dashboard. 

b) The edits are being made by a Google Reviewer/Listings Editor.  

Although I suspect a) is what is occurring. 

2) This "listing" regularly has incorrect information, and I suggest an edit and it's fixed, then it's straight back to incorrect in a couple of days.  - Today I find that my business is listed as Permanently Closed. The only thing it seems I can do is "report" this, which I have.

3) How do I gain control of this page/tile/info so I can directly change and edit this info ? If somebody else owns or controls this how do I stop it ? I feel like I'm just a member of the public in regards to my own businesses information that's listed.

I assume that you aren't the one who has claimed the listing from the above text, if so, please follow the instructions mentioned here : Someone else has verified my buisness

4) What's stopping my competition from messing with this information and suggesting incorrect edits to divert my customers away from me ?

Although most changes made through the Google My Buisness dashboard are instantly approved, some are flagged for review. 

Also, you should know that regular users are free to edit your listing even if you are the claimant, albeit subject to various moderation systems.  

Thank you in advance. 

Matthew.

Business Name - Highfields Garden Centre

Address - 9 Recreation Reserve Rd Highfields Qld 4352

Phone - 0746308548

Google+ URL - https://plus.google.com/107954913125478979102/about

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Time Lord,

Thank you for that info. Some of it went straight over my head, and some
was useful.
I have loaded a request of transfer of ownership of the page to me, but I
note that the decision lies with the current page owner. So somebody could
technically lock me out of my own business on Google....... great.

Shall see what if anything this brings.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I appreciate it.
Matthew

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Matthew B wrote:
Hello Time Lord,

Thank you for that info. Some of it went straight over my head, and some
was useful.
I have loaded a request of transfer of ownership of the page to me, but I
note that the decision lies with the current page owner. So somebody could
technically lock me out of my own business on Google....... great.

Shall see what if anything this brings.

As per the article, I don't believe this is neccessarily the case "The current listing owner will receive an email asking them to get in touch with you, and you’ll receive a confirmation email. Allow a full 7 days for the current listing owner to respond to your request. If you don’t hear back after 7 days, contact support by replying to the confirmation email. "

Thank you for your time and assistance. I appreciate it.
Matthew
I'm glad I could help, although you should know that I am not as experienced as the other moderators on the forum, there could be other solutions to your issue. Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Timelord's advice was correct. Hopefully you don't have any trouble getting control over your listing, if you do you can come back here.

One thing that could speed things up though... for the most part, the only way for a business owner to verify a listing is to have a postcard sent with a PIN number on it. That means someone took the time to get that piece of mail sent, and they were able to get it at your actual place of business. Presumably the person who claimed the listing is either an employee or contractor you're using that you already know. I'd take the time to ask around and see who might have claimed it. Could have just been someone trying to help that then didn't keep an eye on things.

Those changes by 'Google' that Time Lord mentioned don't necessarily have to have been made by anyone. Google sometimes makes changes on it's own based on what it thinks it knows about you from other places (everything from Government records to Yelp and Facebook) so whoever claimed it might not be maliciously changing things. Once you have control of the listing though, that's the best way to keep things like this from happening in the future. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You James W and Time Lord

Seems funny that overnight somebody has attempted to access my Gmail and
Microsoft account logins.
I'm smelling a great big hairy stinky rat.
I've taken steps and changed all passwords.

How do I request a postcard/PIN be sent out ?
Is there a way to send it to a mailing address rather than the physical
street address ?

Thank you again for your assistance - it's greatly appreciated.
Matthew.

*Thanks and Regards, Matthew Bartkowski. Highfields Garden Centre 07 4630
8548 0428 965 767*

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Yeah, always better safe than sorry. With Google at least, you can see a little bit of information about who it was that was trying to break in, so to speak. Follow these instructions and you can at least get a city and time for when that happened, so if it happens again you'll know if it was the same person. If it's in your city too, that might tell you something interesting as well. 

No need to request a postcard. If you followed the advice in the article that time lord linked to, you should be waiting for 7 days now after filling out the 'request admin rights' form. After the seven days have passed, contact Google support either on Twitter or Facebook and they'll get you straightened out. If you do need to request a postcard in the future, you can only get it sent to the actual business location. For obvious reasons too, you're already dealing with someone having falsely verified your business, you can imagine why allowing the card to be sent anywhere else would just make cases like this much more common.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Time Lord,

Just had an email from Google......

*"As per your request to transfer the ownership of "Highfields Garden
Centre*", *we contacted the current owner of the page.*

*We have now received a reply from the owner and they have declined to
transfer the ownership. If you would still like to proceed with the
transfer of the ownership for this page, please contact the business owner
and request them to contact us directly. "*

I have yet to reply to this email.
What would be the suggested action from this point ?

Being that *I* am the Business owner, it seems absurd to me that a third
party can have control over my information on Google.

Feeling stressed and frustrated as this is loosing me business.

Thank you - Matthew.

8548 0428 965 767*

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Matthew B wrote:
Hello Time Lord,

Just had an email from Google......

*"As per your request to transfer the ownership of "Highfields Garden
Centre*", *we contacted the current owner of the page.*

*We have now received a reply from the owner and they have declined to
transfer the ownership. If you would still like to proceed with the
transfer of the ownership for this page, please contact the business owner
and request them to contact us directly. "*

I have yet to reply to this email.
What would be the suggested action from this point ?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, please reply to the email asking to proceed with the process. I haven't gone through this, so I'm not sure what the GMB team would require as proof, but I assume that some images of the signage, etc are required. 

Being that *I* am the Business owner, it seems absurd to me that a third
party can have control over my information on Google.

Feeling stressed and frustrated as this is loosing me business.

I can understand the situation you're in, sorry for this.

As the postcard was hand delivered to your address, the chances of the culprit possibly being one of your employees is high, as James pointed out, you may want to look into this. 

The post card verification is not a fool-proof process, but it is the best I can think of. I just wish that they would use FedEx, or some more reliable provider to ensure that it reaches the right person. The postman might've been led astray to the current claimant as well. 

Seems funny that overnight somebody has attempted to access my Gmail and Microsoft account logins. I'm smelling a great big hairy stinky rat. I've taken steps and changed all passwords.

Having secure passwords to various online accounts is recommended, in fact, I recommend you setup two step verification. However, I'd like to point out that the current claimant wouldn't need access to your account. He/she'd merely need to have the ability to obtain any post that was sent to you. Maybe your office should be kept more secure as someone might've got in and picked up the postcard.

Thank you - Matthew.

8548 0428 965 767*

Please keep us informed if there is any issue. Maybe some of the moderators maybe able to help you out, in case your efforts with the support team aren't fruitful. 

Thanks. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Those changes by 'Google' that Time Lord mentioned don't necessarily have to have been made by anyone. Google sometimes makes changes on it's own based on what it thinks it knows about you from other places (everything from Government records to Yelp and Facebook) so whoever claimed it might not be maliciously changing things. Once you have control of the listing though, that's the best way to keep things like this from happening in the future. 

Hi, 

Yes this is what I meant by this :) : 

This is a Google Map Maker link for your feature : Highfields Garden Centre 

Looking at the history on the feature (rightmost tab), there appear to be multiple edits from "Google". This can mean one of two things : 

a) Edits are being made from the Google My Buisness dashboard. 

b) The edits are being made by a Google Reviewer/Listings Editor.  

Although I suspect a) is what is occurring. 

Thanks.