My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My business has to be listed wrong two different ways.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First, categories. I'm primarily a henna artist, and I also do glitter body art and facepainting. I can't find a category for any of these. I have to list under "Tattoo shop", which is both wrong and irritating. Most of the people I'm being hired to serve aren't even old enough for tattoos! I get more calls for tattoos than anything else, despite my description, website, and photos. Given that the number of henna artists and facepainters in the US alone must number in the tens of thousands, we need categories that represent us. The currently available one is not only not close enough but plain wrong.

Second, location. I don't have a studio. I only travel to appointments and parties. I will travel literally wherever people want me to go, around the world, but my house is in New England. Google lists my home address, so I have people driving to my place with some frequency. I have found a couple of answers on here that link to a page that refers to being able to remove the address, but I can't find out how to do so. I have multiple "home bases" in the area, and the 99 mile range covers most of them, so that's fine,  but it needs to not actually give the address. How do I do that?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lauren G
October

Re: My business has to be listed wrong two different ways.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Lauren

If you use an incognito / private window to view your page, can you still see your full address? Google will not hide your entire address - in most cases it will leave at least the suburb, city visible but no-one (apart from you when logged in ) should see the full address.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My business doesn't show on Google. I don't knw what to do anymore. Please contact me back with options.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You posted this as a reply to my question. You might want to start your own, to get it seen.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Lauren G

AFAIK your post contains two points:

A# finding an appropriate category.

B#  how to get onGMaps without publishing your home address

My answers:

to A#  

there is no option to add custom categories. You have to make a choice of the nearst possible category listed in here https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories for your country.

to B#

please check out the option for a SAB business with hidden address according https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
A) I don't want to add a custom category just for me. I want Google to add henna and facepainting as categories that many thousands of people need. Right now, there is nothing for us that is remotely relevant, that I can find. Listing me under Tattoo Shop is the same as listing a cupcake truck under Banquet Facilities.
B) I have been to that link, and my business is listed as having a service area, based on my home address, which it displays. I want it to show the are without the address, otherwise people will keep showing up at my home.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
still regarding point B:

did you use the option to hide your address?
Its explained and to achive in step four of the linked HC article?

YOu just need to unselect *I serve customers at my business address*.
You should only select this option if you want your complete address to
display on Google and if your business location is staffed and able to
receive customers during its stated hours.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The linked article doesn't specify anything about hiding my address.
I have the "I deliver" checked and the "at my business address" not clicked. On the main page for the business, it lists my home address, and on the radius, it says "99 miles from" my home address.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

page 4 of https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163?hl=en

explained:

screencapture (38).png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, that is the way I have this set up, and it still shows my address.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lauren G
October

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Lauren

If you use an incognito / private window to view your page, can you still see your full address? Google will not hide your entire address - in most cases it will leave at least the suburb, city visible but no-one (apart from you when logged in ) should see the full address.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog