My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My business address isn't detected correct on Google maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, 

I'm working on my locksmith business website (which is still under construction) but I encountered a couple of problems. First of all my mailing address (1202 Powell St, Emeryville, CA, 94608) is detected from Google maps like (1202 Powell St, Oakland, CA 94608). I want to use the first one but I'm not sure whether this the right strategy.Any recommendations? A while ago I created a GMB listing which got suspended and like I was advised before when I placed my question about the GBM listing (https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Spam-Policy/GMB-listings-suspension/m-p/594677) I will delete it and eventually create new one with hidden address (just servicing area). I'm planning to build citations for this location but I'm not sure which address should I use so that my business will gain online presence with consistent information. All in all I plan my strategy as follows: launch my website, build citations and then create GBM listing (I think that once there are mentions of my business in relevant high-authority business directories maybe Google won't suspend my listing when I create it again ). Any thoughts ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mihaela M
August 2016

Re: My business address isn't detected correct on Google maps

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi @Mihaela M,

Right, per our guidelines, "Use a precise, accurate address to describe your business location. PO Boxes or mailboxes located at remote locations are not acceptable." And since you don't serve customers at your location, you can set your listing as a service area business which would then hide your address. 

Best,

Liz

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi @Mihaela M,

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question. Since it sounds like your business is not currently open, you are not eligible for a Google My Business listing. You should use your mailing address once your company is set up and running, and should be able to correct it if it renders incorrectly when you go to create your listing. I would recommend using your real-world mailing address. 

Hope that helps!

Best,

Liz

GMB Community Manager 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,

So I should use my real mailing address even though Google maps detect it to be in another city (my city is Emeryville, and Google says it is in Oakland). Event though this is my mailing address I don't serve customers at this location and that is why I will hide it from the GMB listing and indicate only servicing area.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mihaela M
August 2016

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi @Mihaela M,

Right, per our guidelines, "Use a precise, accurate address to describe your business location. PO Boxes or mailboxes located at remote locations are not acceptable." And since you don't serve customers at your location, you can set your listing as a service area business which would then hide your address. 

Best,

Liz

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you !
And one last question...since my GBM listing was suspended when I created it a month ago, I decided to delete it and create new one (this time correctly indicating the service are). Before I submit the new GBM listing I plan to build citations so that there are mentions of my business in relevant high-quality business directories and maybe this gives Google a signal that my business is real and won't suspend it this time. First citation building and then GBM listing...it that ok or it doesn't really matter which comes first?

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Glad to help! Unfortunately, I can't advise on the outside citations piece. Sorry about that!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK, thanks a lot :)