4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My PERSONAL info is listed PUBLICLY as a BUSINESS!?!? HELP!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was looking up a website on my father so I typed just our last name into Google. To my horror, my personal info shows up a the first search result, as if it were a business, complete with my personal phone number and a photo of the front of our building! [censored]!?! I never asked for this, never signed up as a business. It's Google's algorithm gone haywire! I verified it so I could hopefully delete it, but now it appears I can't do that without completely deleting my personal accounts.

It happens in multiple browsers on multiple computers, even when completely logged out, so the whole world can see my personal info and Google is too big to answer phones, so hopefully I can get some help here!

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bambi, 

Ouch, that's no good. Deleting the profile won't actually delete your personal information. The warning screen is worded in a pretty scary way, but all it's saying is that it will delete all the content and messaging associated directly with the business location being deleted, not with the whole account. 

Unfortunately, deleting a verified listing from your account will NOT actually delete a listing. All it'll do is unverify it again, it'll still exist. You have a few options though, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it removed. Your first option, try flagging it as spam. Look up the listing, click on 'suggest and edit' (below the phone number and hours). Then click the big 'business is closed or has never existed' slider button. Your reason should probably be 'private' or 'never existed'. Edits from users without much history don't always go through, but you can try it at least. 

If it's still up in a day or two, you can either ask Google support on Twitter to remove it (they're slow, expect a week for a response) or post a link to the profile here and I'll escalate it to the engineers for removal. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: My PERSONAL info is listed PUBLICLY as a BUSINESS!?!? HELP!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. There's no "business is closed" button under Suggest an Edit, though. Using Chrome / OSX. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.00.25 AM.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Bambi E

use this link https://goo.gl/maps/1FYRBHJnoiA2 and then "suggest edit" (at the left side) and then click at first top left on the field "NO" to get the option to report it as closed.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I btw did this already and got it accepted by GMaps:

Success
Your edit to Bambi Everson has been published. See your change. Note that some changes might take up to 24 hours before appearing on Google.
Thank you for improving Google Maps! Your insights make it a better, more useful map for everyone.
Bambi Everson

Your edit
Place is permanently closed
Edited on Oct 8, 2017 · Published
Thanks for your help,
The Google Maps team
james w