6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My Google Business is not showing up in Map category searches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My Google Business and location is verified, and searching for my exact business name makes it show up on Maps, but searching for my service category only provides 3 results in my area, none of which are mine. I have read through previous posts and reviewed the recommended articles for making sure all my info has been filled out correctly. 

How can I get my business to show up in a search for my exact service like other businesses are showing up for? When I search for architectural photographer, only 3 results show up for my metro region and my business is not one of them.

My listing with all my info.

Thanks a bunch,

Kelly

1 Expert replyverified_user
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kelly, 

It looks like you've set everything up properly on Google at least. Google looks at quite a few factors to decide which businesses to show for which keywords. One of them is that they don't like showing more than one business per category from the same address. I see you're using a co-working space. When I did a search I only saw one business come up for architectural photographer in your area. If you're seeing 3, and one of them is at the same address as you, you could be getting filtered because of that. I saw too, your phone number was also being used for a business called Strom Coffee, and you have a photography profile on Yelp with PNW Nelson as the business name. You should be using a phone number that's just for your business, and you should be consistently using the same name everywhere for your business. If Google gets too many mixed signals, they'll doubt that they have good information about your business. 

Even without all that though, you have very little information about your business anywhere online. No business profiles at the main business directory sites, no photography or Richland related websites (or any websites really) linking back to your site and talking about your work. When I typed in Kelly Nelson Photography, Richland WA, I'm not seeing your website come up anywhere at all. Honestly, you've got some work ahead if you're interested in building your exposure this way. If this is something you'd like to invest time in, here's a list of ideas on how you might get some more high quality links to your website. As a photographer though, your biggest asset is going to be your work. Maybe you could get an attribution link for buildings you've shot that've been posted online?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply James.

I am at a co-working space, but it's a legit physical address. There is no other photographer at the co-working space. Ström Coffee was my old business associated with my phone number. It's been closed for a couple years and I marked that as closed in my Google Business account and deleted the phone number for that listing - not sure why its still showing up for Ström Coffee or what else I'm supposed to do to remove that association.

I can change the Yelp listing to match my Google listing. 

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "business profiles and the main business directory sites". Can you elaborate on that? My Google+ page shows up when searching for my business name and not my website, which I'm still not sure how to resolve that. I've gone through Analytics recommendations for meta tags and Search Console, etc. 

With all that though, it seems if I have a verified Google Business listing, it should show up at least in Maps when searching locally for my category - what's the use in being verified if it doesn't show up? Why does my business need to be strongly established to be listed locally? It doesn't make sense. New businesses (which mine pretty much is) can't be listed in Maps until they have been around a while? I'm really confused about this part. The thought is to get exposure through Google in order to become more established.

Thanks for further clarification.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kelly, 

Sorry I wasn't clear, there's a lot of nooks and crannies to all this. Here's what I meant when I was talking about business directory sites. 

Google gets its information about local businesses from a lot of different information sources. They might look at Yelp, Facebook local business profiles, Apple maps, they look at your government incorporation record, and so on. Moz made a road map a while back that can give you a rough idea of all the information sources feeding into Google. Whitespark has a little more in depth information on what exactly a citation is here, and a list of the general top 50 citation sites for businesses in the US here. Honestly, I'm not saying you need to set up a business profile on each of those sites (as a photographer in Richland, there are going to be local directory sites or photography specific sites that would matter more anyway). What I'm saying is that there's a line somewhere, where if you have too few citations, and mismatched name or phone number on some of them, then Google won't be sure about the information it has on your business. I didn't see Strom Coffee on Google, I saw it on mapquest and Facebook, but Google does 'see' those listings. I usually use Moz local when first setting up new clients, that at least gets the most important directories taken care of, it'll eventually trickle down to a lot of other places too. Having one or two of those business directories listing your phone number with an old business isn't the end of the world if you have a lot of correct information elsewhere so Google can feel confident, but since you have very little elsewhere, I could see that being an issue. Moz local is $84 for a year, I usually only use it as a one time deal and don't renew the second year. If you know of any other photography sites that would be relevant to your industry (the knot and wedding wire would be the two top ones for wedding photographers) then you might create a listing there too. 

Does that make sense? 

Another point is the architectural photography keyword itself. That's not a category in Google My Business, so the only way for Google to figure out what kind of Photography you specialize in, is from looking at your website. Another way to look at that, what keywords does your website rank for? For most searches with a 3-pack (the map with three local businesses) the 3 businesses will usually have their website ranking on that page further down too. I didn't see your site anywhere in the list though, and I checked five pages deep. 

The good news, your location is a huge factor too, especially since last September. While you're just getting established, even with things right as they are now, you'll still likely see at least some people are finding your business online. Those people are likely people within a quarter mile of your actual location. If you'd like to build on that and have even more people find you, I'd look into cleaning and building citations at least a little bit, getting some good quality backlinks pointing to your website, and asking some of your old customers if they would leave you a review on Google. You can generate a link to make that really easy here.

You mentioned finding it strange that your business wasn't in the maps list at all. You can read a little bit more about how the filter works here. If you're at a normal co-working space without any other photographers there though, then I think the only reason you're not there for more general keywords are the things I mentioned above. On the plus side, the same activities you could do to build your business in the real world (getting your work featured, finding local ways to get involved, volunteer, network, teach workshops, etc.) those things will often lead to links back to your site and help build your online presence as well, so it all connects. I hope that makes things a little more clear, let me know if you have any more questions. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Experts in the Topic
james w