My Business
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My Business & schema.org - difference | info about residential addr.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I didn't set up a business yet. I need more info before proceeding, and I'd like to ask here.

I have a local business in a residential address. I'd like to improve its visibility, but I would avoid putting opening hours, because I receive only via appointment and I would like not to put the precise address. I am thinking about enhancing the website with schema.org data, KML file, showing google maps - in order to improve the local search. 

Question 1: Is google my business something different than what I get with just editing the website with the right schema and google maps data? What is the difference? What do I get more adding a business on Google My Business?

Question 2: I read here that “Residential addresses or locations that require appointments are not allowed to show their address”. Is that true? Does it mean that these businesses cannot use My Business  and/or cannot have their listing appear in google search or google places because they are not allowed to show their address? Or they are shown, but just with a pin on the map?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My Business & schema.org - difference | info about residentia

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I think the main point for a local business is:
User can get the information searching you on GMaps

Its your matter to follow the guidelines and also to hide the address if not servicing your customers at your home address.

The info shown up then are your business name, the phone number and your website - as well as the option to read existent reviews and to write new rewiews.
Here is a GMaps link to such a Service area business with hidden address:
https://goo.gl/maps/QyjLk8gj9V52
Note: the opening hours coming with this could be "empty" as well

<MaRe: My Business & schema.org - difference | info about residentia

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks. So if there are businesses without address, why it requires me to put an address?

address.png

Maybe I have to add the right address and after I will have the possibility to "hide" the address? Because if I edit the address later, as I can read here https://support.google.com/business/answer/3039617 it will drive me through a new verification. So how can I "hide" the address as that business of your example did?

Re: <MaRe: My Business & schema.org - difference | info about

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That's that simple:

GoogleMyBusiness needs to check your business exist really at the address sending you the PIN to the address.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Fair enough. I accept this. But then, after verification will I be able to hide the address somewhere in the dashboard?
That's my only concern.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sergio L
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
It's much better!!

you can create a page specifying the address AND requesting to hide the address to the public

Just read and follow https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I will do like you said.
Have a nice weekend