My Business
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My Business Editable for everyone?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our company manages alot of ‘my business’ pages for our stores. A customer attended us that even though we verified all adresses via the code sent through postmail, he was still able to change for example the opening hours of our stores. We checked using our private accounts which had no acces to the settings of the stores, and had to conclude that he was right. When you select the 'feedback-button' suggested changes will be put live within a minute or 5, without asking permission to the owner of the My business page. Can anyone please explain why this is possible and possibly how we can restrain people from doing this?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My Business Editable for everyone?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It's not that unusual the some content of a verified business is subject of community edits - even for opening hours.

I did this as a regional lead of my country sometimes too (of course based on trusted information like business website or similar)

But usually such doing requires a Google Moderation.

About what specific verified business page are you speaking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick reply Helmut. We specifically tested on the following pages:

https://plus.google.com/b/102725423745335612909/103758036848101472892/
https://plus.google.com/+KlusWijsRuurlo/

There was no sign of Google Moderation in the process of changing the information.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I see @Ramon D

But I was mainly saying some such changes are subject of community edits.

But often such changes get into GoogleModeration.

I also did an edit (changing the opening hours on Saterday to 17:01) and it got published instantly too.

(meanwhile having reverted  it to the original 17:00)

I now will now try make an other change: 

deleting "Appeldoorn" from the name of your verified listing.

Note this change is in a kind justifed as oyur business (according your website is named just as "KlusWijs Home" - means I'm not just "playing" with the page)

However I will try this change and see I can do this as well or getting it under Google Moderation.

Success: I can change it instantly also - this sound bit weird IMHO.

Supposed I (or you from your private account) would be able additional to make some other NAP - related changes like changing the phone number or the Addresss I would consider this a serious bug to escalate it to Google.

Give it a try or me the "go ahead" to try such change it from my German end.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Ramon D

Its pretty strange:

I just encountered in my own country a verfied business with a name violating googles guide lines. Its this MM record: "Ferienwohnung direkt am Park Sanssouci "

Since it should be according GMB guidelines just "Villa Victoria" I made an edit (and since I'm a Regional Lead for Germany I expected to get it published instantly like your name edit I made deleting Appeldoorn from your business page)

But surprisingly I got my edit "Ferienwohnung direkt am Park Sanssouci " under "GoogleModeration"

Means there is perhaps something odd with edits of verified pages for the Netherlands .

Would very much like you or me could make some more NAP related tests with your business pages.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In that case it's pretty clear that there is no moderation going on in these cases. I'm afraid further testing isn't possible since this is a customer of ours and we can't risk them losing customers over this. Perhaps you could create a test account for this?

Would be great if Google could give an official explanation for this, but further than that my question is answered. Thanks alot!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Ramon D

There is nearby of your business in question an other one called "Bruynzeel Keukens Apeldoorn"

Since here "Appeldoorn" also violates Goolges naming guidelines I tried editing the name to just "Bruynzeel Keukens".

I did this exactly the same manner and applying the same steps as with your business. 

But surprisingly in that case I got my edit "under Google Moderation"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That makes it even more peculiar. So it should be possible to limit acces to changing this information. I rechecked the options in 'My Business' to see if there is a setting for this, but can't find anything.

p.s. I Checked 'Buynzeel' and it does seem there is a change under judgement.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Helmut
Is it possible to limit acces?
Please check Bruyneel and Media Markt Apeldoorn.
The have!! :-0
But how?!
Please help.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Ramon D

You should look better (or bit "closer" in MM for "Bruynzeel Keukens Apeldoorn"

This is the history of my edit and Google approved it already:

Screenshot 2016-04-18 at 16.48.12.png

@Klus W

It isn't possible to limit access to a verified business page.

But accessing such a listing through GMaps or MapMaker doesn't give a mapper any guarantee it goes "through"