My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My Business Doesn't show on Google maps unless I search for it specifically

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Northgate Eye Center, OD, PA (1524 NC 24-87, Cameron, NC 28326).pdf.jpgI have been in business for almost 4 years.  I was the first business in this area and am the largest.  My business dosn't show on Googles map unless I specifically search for it.  While potential clients use this map, I don't show up and am going unnoticed.  The coffee shop to my north is a local shop as are many that are in the photo attached.  I can zoom out and in and I never show on the map.  We are the largest business in this photo and are the anchor business in the development.  How is it my best location awareness marketing is a road sign not the map?  Other businessess that are showing don't even have the correct address for their location.  I'm the only one with his address correctly recorded and verified with the U.S. postal service.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Caveat:  I've read the responses from other similar posts.  The concern was always "not showing in a SEARCH".  I show in searches just fine.  We have been verified since we opened.  Our address is registered correctly with the post office. The business that shows up in the middle of the road and the one in the parkinglot are always there, for crying out loud.  Walmart just opened 2 months ago and their optical shows up with an icon when you naigate to it.  What are we missing here?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

link to business?

Name of Business?

Address?

Are you set too " customers come to our location " or do you have it set too " we go to customers" in your google my business dashboard?

How long has it been since you put your business on google my business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The name of the business is:

Northgate Eye Center, OD, PA

1524 NC 24-87

Cameron, NC 28326

The links to our pages are: http://northgateeye.com/ and https://plus.google.com/b/100221996697428526666/+NorthgateEyeCenterCameron?pageId=100221996697428526....

We have been on Google my Bus since 2013, prior to the businesses that are showing up now.  We have been a PPC advertiser since then as well.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Robert P

Its a misbelief assuming each GMB listing will get what Google call a "place label".

Learn more about this reading their HC article:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/6056435?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Helmut,

Thank you much for the reply and the resource article.  I just finished reviewing it and I now understand the factors to achieving a place label noted in the article.  While the article does make sense on the surface, looking at the practice as it applies to this situation leaves me still baffled.  Accuracy of information: we are the ONLY ones with accurate information.  Other businesses don't have correct addresses.  Richness of content: we have a very robust social media and internet presence.  This has been noted not only by marketers but most of the businesses that have the labels.  As the only eye doctor's office that serves this area and the only and largest fine eyewear, both sunglasses and prescription I would think that would merit note on the map.  The NEW veterinarian's office is labeled as are the 3 nail salons and every food establishment and the 2 auto part stores.

This information runs diametrically, based on the article, to the reason we don't currently rate a place label.  The information really only makes me MORE curious as to why we DON'T have a label.  A Walmart opened a mile away in Nov.  They have a place label not only for the store, but the optical inside has a label.  This occurred before the store even opened.  They meet NONE of the criteria listed in the article. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler sorry I didn't you to the reply above.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Charlie K sorry I didn't add you to my reply below.

Re: My Business Doesn't show on Google maps unless I search for it specifically

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Robert P

there are bit more things between heaven and earth as you and many people imagine.

Give you little bit more stuff to think about:

Please apply a search for just the coordinates of the building where your business is located using GMaps => search for 35.256319,-79.038637 getting this view then:

Screenshot 2017-01-26 at 18.12.19.png

There is just one place label only on your business building and just four (or five) on (or near) the bulding slightly bit to south-east - right? 

Now have a look to the many more listings known to Google just on "your building":

I refer to B, C, E & D visible on the next screen grab:

Screenshot 2017-01-26 at 18.27.18.png

very similar for the building closed to yours:

There are obviously about 12 businesses known and shown on MapMaker  but Google shows on GMaps just four of five of them with place labels (as per my first screen grab)

Screenshot 2017-01-26 at 18.34.14.png

What does it mean?

It's as with the holy bible:

Reading it and beiving what you read is ok - reading it in a literally manner very likely  isn't.

You have to read it carefully and trying to gather its true or intended content on oyur own.

Same witb Googles HC articles:

Reading Googles HC is ok - but reading  them literally will confuse you and will mostly not help you.

Google intentionally writes stuff like the article about place labels in a kind of vague wording. 
Nothing written there is false. But there is more stuff  hidden  behind the written text.

Re: My Business Doesn't show on Google maps unless I search for it specifically

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler

Thank you for the analysis on the business listings.  I'll assume there is something bigger at work here.  In the example you showed, I am the one who has moved all the pins to their proper locations for those businesses.  In the larger building with the larger number of businesses, all but two have labels and there is a label for the building as well.  As Google lists the following two points specifically for How They Decide on Labels. "The place labels shown on Google Maps are determined algorithmically based on a large number of factors. One factor these algorithms consider is the accuracy of the business information and the richness of the content associated with the business. 

Verifying your business improves the chances that your business will display with a place label." I can only determine that by what they are alluding to and the facts you have identified, Google picks the winners and losers.  We businesses can do everything right, but at the end of the day it just doesn't matter unless you advertise on Google to drive people to your business.  I understand that Google changes their algorithms to keep big businesses from saturating google with larger resources.  It leaves small businesses who spend precious resources they don't have much of, to Google's (a big company) decision of who is the winner and who is the loser.  I get it.  We will stick to terrestrial advertising and old fashion marketing as this seems to be the only thing we have any control over and not spend resources on things like map data.