My Business
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

My Business Category is Stuck

J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Google My Business Community,

My clients store's category is stuck. It should be Dry Cleaners, but it is stuck as Dollar Store.

Every time I correct it, it reverts back to Dollar Store with Dry Cleaners crossed out. I've also tried flagging the problem from in Google search, outside of the admin. See (A) view from My Business admin. You may preview the store by searching "Dollar Cleaners Castro Valley CA". I attached a screen shot of this too, (B) view from search.

I contacted Google support over a month ago, and they said they're working on it. I've been contacting them every week, but they have yet to fix the problem. Each time the rep says they'll let me know when their engineers fix the problem.

This is a big issue for a small business like this–and it's having a big effect on the store. So I'm seeking help here, with the community.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any advice on fixing it? Or is there any other department I can contact at Google?

Any support or advice is appreciated!

(A) view from My Business admin

(B) View from search

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sounds a strange bug with your listing or its category  @J S

I escalated this my way to Google  ( # 604 )

Let's wait on their response.

BTW did you got from support any case ID (it should be numric Identifier in any email from business support in case they emailed you by chance)

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Google builds up the search result it shows from all the content it finds on the web.

As part of that it uses algorithms to pick out data to populate individual fields.

I know it parses the business name to pick out Categories. One lady in the past used a 'made up' name and it was parsed to 'Abortion Clinic'. And it matches words in the listing to a dictionary using these hashtags. In the UK 'surrey' is a horse drawn carriage in the dictionary, as well as a County (State) name. It parses the business name first against the dictionary so 'surrey' never made it to the location setting part.

The text name is not used to position you in search but a hashtag made up from the name, and may only use the start of a long name. Experiments I made in the past seem to support that.

Even if you set a Category in a claimed listing the algorithm can over-ride it.

You have been unfortunate in the name chosen for the business. When setting up a new business its wise to search on the proposed name first to see how Google parse that on the fly and where it choses to place you in a search result. Using 'dollar' which has a Category with it in is the problem.

One solution is a particular fix for you but any edits or changes in the product in the future can over-ride that. Otherwise a change to a built in algorithm may take some time.

I do not if it would be approved. But pointing this out to  a few regular customers and asking them to 'submit an edit' from the search listing with the right Category may work. As Google trust crowd sourced data over your own entered data.

Crowd sourced edits to Mapmaker have been stopped because of that.

Good luck. Andrew.

J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Helmut,

Thanks for escalating the case.

I did receive an email from Google My Business support, but there isn't a case ID–unfortunately.

Hopefully we'll hear from your escalation/report! Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply!

It's disappointing. There are four other locations, and they all have the correct category with no problems. Plus we verified the Castro Valley address with a post card.

If the algorithm has that much power....then that'd be very concerning. It's so easy to verify it as a dry cleaners.

Hopefully a Google rep will provide us with some support/solution, or someone in the community will have a solution.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I don't belive you can (and should) do anything.

I tried on my end (before escalating the issue to Google) a community edit via GMaps and I got a certain strange reaction from GMaps.

This reaction made me thinking on a certain technical bug as well (like as the support reps told you)

Best thing is being bit more patient until I hear back  a word from my Googlers.

Accepted by topic author J S
July

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

good news @J S

There was a little bug to prevent each of us to edit the category

But the team now changed your listing and its pops up now with the correct category.

J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Helmut, thanks for your help and feedback!