My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple completely different businesses at same physical address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a topic that I've seen addressed, but not in a way that covers my situation, exactly.

I have a client whose business I'm trying to set up as a local listing.  It's done and verified and published and visible.  However, there is an outdated one at a different address that is marked "permanently closed" (because it moved to the newer address) that can also pop up.  Because of the way it's marked "permanently closed" it's a disaster if it pops up on a search, and I've been working with Google to get it deleted.  In the process of doing that, Google noticed that there are multiple businesses at the current, active address.  It is true.  There are roughly 6 different business entities at the same address as my client's current location, all without suite numbers.  A couple of those businesses have Google local listings.  The absolute true fact is, none of the businesses at the address can receive postal mail there. The location is in the Sierra mountains north of Lake Tahoe and it is BFE and this is the way things are out here.  All businesses at this location need PO Boxes for postal mail, although logistics companies (FedEx, UPS, etc) deliver there fine.  None of them are differentiated by a suite number.  They are completely different businesses with different owners, phone numbers and specialties and they all share this street address which is a compound of outbuilding structures on a large parcel of land.  Because Google discovered this, they are unable to completely remove this outdated listing that I want completely deleted.  It seems like they really can't do anything for me, or for any of the businesses at this location, until something is done to differentiate them by address.  It seems ridiculous to me that we should have to make up suite numbers out of thin air.  It seems to me that Google should have ways to represent reality, even when it doesn't fit into their ideal of what reality should be.  Has anyone ever run into anything like that or does any expert have any suggestions?  The address in question is here:  https://www.google.com/#q=10925+W+River+St%2C+Truckee%2C+CA+96161  Have a look...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple completely different businesses at same physical address

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi @Rob M,

Apologies for the delay in my response. We do our best to represent things the way they are in reality. We do, however, require that when listing your company on Google My Business, you use an address that can receive mail. If you're having trouble with verification in the future, I'd recommend this article.

Thanks,
Liz

GMB Community Manager 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Elizabeth,

I understand that ... sort of. But again, what we have here is a compound of outbuildings in rural, mountain CA. Some of the businesses in this compound have Google Local listings. NONE OF THEM can actually receive postal mail at the address provided. They just can't, and yet they have listings. How did that happen, if what you are saying is the case?

It's a paradox. You say a business needs an address that can receive postal mail. But it is also true that we cannot create a local listing using a PO Box as an address. It needs to be a physical address that can receive postal mail. In the case of all businesses at 10925 W River St, Truckee, CA, this is impossible. Are all these businesses supposed to move to some other location so they can be compliant with Google? Are we supposed to storm the post office at gun point and insist they start delivering mail there? What are we supposed to do?

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Rob,

I understand the frustration with this situation. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the information on how the other listings were able to get verified. Per our guidelines, the business needs to request the postcard to their real-world address where customers can meet them and do business. If you're still having trouble with verification, I would recommend that you reach out to our verification team by emailing them here.

Best,
Liz