My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple businesses in the same location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We have 3 businesses running out of 1 physical location. Due to the fact that all these companies are under one corporation but operate independently, means we have 3 different Google My Business locations setup. We received 3 separate post-cards, verified all of them and everything was good. Now, 2 of the locations are status listed as 'duplicate addresses' with a resolve address option. Is this a non-issue or is there something that I need to do about this? 

thanks for your help,

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple businesses in the same location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry, forgot the list the businesses and location.
Hudson Entry & Automation
Hudson Doors Plus
Hudson Lock & Key
Address for all: 990 Pond Mills Road, Unit B, London, ON N6N 1A2

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Its an issue and its caused by you.

Lemme explain:

Supposed I'll call the phone number +1 519-913-3345:
what will I get for a "business" answering me:

Hudson Entry & Automation or Hudson Doors Plus or even Hudson Lock & Key.
And supposed I will come to the address: what will I see very on top of the door?

Its this picture: https://goo.gl/132HpD

Tell you my opinion:
There is just one business called Hudson and its paying one tax bill and it might have two or three different "departments" or services.

BTW actually there are indeed all three of the three alleged businesses still on GMaps
Entry & Automation <=> http://maps.google.com/?cid=2080281632068001013
Doors & Plus <=> http://maps.google.com/?cid=8723771729990992244
Locks & Key <=> https://goo.gl/maps/75JuvdbK98z and this is a SAB - but it is also using the same phone number

I'm praying that Google will take soon all three listings down for their spammy behavior

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply Helmut.
If you called the phone number then you would get an automated system to the division you are looking for. that image is a picture of the location and it is the same for all 3 divisions. Thanks for wishing that our business listing will be removed instead of offering a solution.
Is there a way to highlight all 3 divisions even though they share a location and phone number?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Shawn

It will be extremely difficult to have these listings all showing, as Helmut has explained they look like the same business to Google (particularly noting the same phone number and address), with 3 different service offerings.

in fact this article from our CM explains what Google looks for in categories better than I can: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/Business-Categories/m-p/556583#...

I recommend deleting the 2 duplicate listings and concentrating on building up the main listing otherwise you do run the risk of having all of them removed by Google's algorithms.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. I can change the phone numbers for these locations. Do you think this may remedy the situation?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
supposed the algos of Google have access to your tax bills:

will they find one or three from this address?

Again: IMHO all three "Hudson's" are sort of "departments" of the one
business "Hudson".

Don't risk any hassle persisting on three listings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Helmut,
Thanks for sticking with me on this one.

Hudson Entry and Automation is the initial company.
Two separate companies joined with Hudson Entry to form their two other divisions of Lock & Key and Doors Plus.

They are in fact all financially independent and have different tax numbers and operate with some cross over but some of their own customers as well.

I can eliminate two of the listings but if someone is looking for Hudson Doors Plus, Hudson Lock & Key, or Hudson Entry & Automation, is it possible to have them all come up on a search, under a name of 'Hudson Group' or something like that?

Also, we have a couple of reviews for Hudson Doors Plus. Is there a way to move those over if we have to go down to 1 Google My Business listing?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Shawn M

I have to admit being bit shocked about the fact there are indeed three tax bills (as this is from my understanding an important criterium for a business having its own tax bill)

Its under this circumstances bit difficult for me to advice you.

But I know from experience having three business with such similar names and same phone numbers and at the same address very likely will give soon or later any kind of issues

I being you would nevertheless try to restrict on one GoogleMyBusiness page only and describe in its website through structured data (schema.org) your three businesses.

(the reviews from one of the two existent pages should  be movable to the "main" page though)

But you see now I'm pretty unsure about a "best practice" in your case.

Perhaps  @PriyaC or other fellows TCs have better advice  for you.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Shawn M and @Helmut Geissler

This is a bit unusual :)

I agree with Helmut though - that even though there's 3 different tax bills, given the very close similarity in all three businesses they will still get merged / penalised even if you get three different phone numbers.

Certainly you can give it a go - it might work, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog