My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our business offers a few services, but two of them are seperate categories that Google lists as options. 

Is there any way we can have them both?

It is currently set to "Pilates Studio" - we would like both Pilates and Yoga as the categories, as we are fully equipped for both. 

Can we also create a new category for Aerial? 

It would be nice for clients searching for any of those if we could show up for each of them. 

All help is appreciated, thanks!

Warm regards. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Categories

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Core Intentions P

You can select up to 10 different categories. Google Guidelines says "Use as few categories as possible to describe your overall core business from the provided list.". In my view, pilates and yoga are two different categories, so I would suggest selecting both. Your main category is important though, choose the your main category based on:
- which area of your business you most want to expand, and
- which area of your business is most focused on in the page on your website that you're connecting with your listing. 

So if you're linking to your home page, and your home page is more focused on the yoga aspect of your facility, and the home page ranks better for yoga related keywords, then make yoga your main category. 

You could get your business ranking for both those areas, but the categories you select are a small piece of the puzzle. Your website, how other websites link to your site, your reviews, etc. all play a part. 

There isn't really a way to suggest a new category, use the ones you see. From there Google will use your website, the words people use when they review you, and other factors to decide what else your business should appear for. Hope that helps!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Multiple Categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James, I have an analogous situation:

I have an activity with multiple categories, tobacco and newspapers shop above all (I'm guessing English categories, because I'm using it in Italian).
Newspapers is the second category and I can't find my activity by looking for newspapers shops on its zone on Google Maps.
How should I categorize it, in order to allow it to be found for any category? Shall I create two activities?

Multiple Categories

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Massimiliano C

Believe you misunderstand the term "categories" 

Newspaper or any products are not to consider as Categories.

you can and should use any listed categories in their list of defaults.

And no never create several listings for the same business at a location.

I btw will close the old thread for new replies.

Feel free to start any new own separate thread 

Please start your own thread providing there all information to understand and investigate your issue
This allows us to keep the forum organized and gives you the attention you need.
This ( https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB ) is our top level Community--from there, you can click into the board title that is most applicable for your issue. Once you're in an individual board, you can click on the red/pink + sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.