My Business
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Mis-representation of business in photos on Google Business Listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I have a Google Business listing for a local restaurant. When my website appears in the SERP there are some old images which appear below the business summary. Not only are the the images an inaccurate representation of the business (the restaurant has been refurbed since the photos were taken) but the photos are very poor quality - it looks like a finger was obscuring the lens when the photo was taken!

How can I remove this damaging photos? There is a link to flag the images on a mobile device (this isn't available on desktop - go figure!) but despite flagging the images over a month later and they remain. I've also tried uploading more images to try and push the offending images down but still Google chooses to show a phot that looks like it was taken by someone who was drunk as the default!

We have a good standing with Google with an average of 4.5/5 stars yet these photos are damaging to our reputation. Does Google care about this, how can this be resolved.

Thanks.

Rob.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mis-representation of business in photos on Google Business Listing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rob

In order for us to help, you'll need to provide links to the photos in question please.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the links. Given the photos don't overtly break any Google guidelines I think flagging them probably won't do much.

However, the guidelines do also say the photos should "Be of respectable quality. Photos that are overly blurry, noisy, rotated, or too dark may be removed." so you may have a case for getting them removed in that instance.

I think the best option is to speak directly with support via one of the options here: https://support.google.com/business/contactflow and ask them to assist in removing the photos where possible.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Priya,

Thank you for the reply, I've send a message via the link you provided, let's see if the images are removed.

Rob.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Priya,

I had a response from Google today:

"After looking at the photos I am afraid to inform that those photos can't be removed as they are relevant to the business"

I'm lost for words! Isn't Google's mission to: "organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful". I don't see how it's useful to insist that a photo that was taken when a business was under previous ownership and no longer is a true likeness cannot be removed How are the images relevant? Who are they relevant to? The issue wold be less jarring if they were actually good quality photos that might hold some historical context.

Is there not any quality control or human reasoning involved in these decision? I fail to see who or what gain or benefit there is to any party here, moreover Google, in continuing this stance.

Rob.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Priya,

After further conversations with the business contact guys they agreed to remove all but one of the offending images. About the final image to be removed, they said they aren't able to remove it themselves, I need to flag it via the "report" button in my app to have it removed by the relevant department.

Do the flagged issues come to you? If so are you able to remove this final photo?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48760216afc40839:0xdf573e3db6c99452!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80...

Thanks,

Rob.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Rob

I'm but a humble volunteer on these forums so won't see any flagged photos at all :)

I might be able to bring it to the attention of my Community Manager though.

Can I confirm that you've flagged that the photo and the reason is the poor quality?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Prriya,

Yes we have flagged the image multiple times without any response or action taken, the image in question is:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48760216afc40839:0xdf573e3db6c99452!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80...

Thanks, Rob.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I'll see if my CM can help at all Rob - but no promises :)