My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Mini Price Storage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My company is about to open a new location in Richmond, VA.  We are planning on verifying the business via Google Maps as we normally do.  However, we were told by a city manager's office employee that they want residents and businesses in the zip code 23233, which falls under Henrico County, to start using Henrico as the "city" address instead of Richmond due to some type of tax filing change.  We also checked with the postmaster.  He said, "You can use either Richmond, VA 23233 or Henrico, VA 23233.  Some businesses use Richmond and some use Henrico - it doesn't matter to us.  The mail will get to you based on your zip code." 

However, it seems Google Maps want to default to Richmond, but it will also accept Henrico and still put the map marker in the right location no matter what city we use.  If we start off with Richmond (because that is what most businesses in our immediate area seem to use) and claim the business as Richmond, will it hurt us in local search if we to change it later to Henrico?  Our concern with using "Henrico" from the getgo is that it seem like Richmond has been the standard for years and not sure the city and county have made an official determination as to what the proper address should be.  We do not want to confuse Google and obviously want to do what is best for local search. So should we claim the business under Henrico or Richmond? 
Thank you!

Mini Price Storage

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Lisa,

(Edited- after further looking into the business)

I am from Richmond Va Also..and offices in Henrico...and in 23233 (EDIT - use henrico based on other location already listed as RICHMOND)

You should claim and verify your GOOGLE MY BUSINESS profile first ( this will create the Maps Listing etc)  and YES use (EDIT - use henrico based on other location already listed as RICHMOND).

If you need extra assistance let me know, I am right down the road 

Mini Price Storage

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Lisa,

It does look like you already have one location that is off Broad Street, that is listed for Richmond.   With that being the Case.  Then I would change my Advice to actually go with Henrico - because of location based searches based on GPS and IP - and since Richmond is covered with Broad street, then let the 23233  be Henrico...