My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Merging a brand page into a local business page

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, a client has a verified local business page and a brand page, both connected to each other in the same account.  Has ownership of both.

The business is a brick and mortar medical clinic and IMO shouldn't have a brand page since they only have the one location and serve customers there.

The local business page shows up on searches both for clinic name and for categories.  So, all good there.

However, the client has been posting to the brand page for a few years, and not doing any posting on the local page.  They would like to retain the posts.

My questions to the esteemed group are:

1 - Any SEO benefits to having both a local page and a brand page for a brick and mortar business??

2 - If not, can a brand page be merged INTO a local page so posts done previously under the brand page are passed over to the local page?  It was my understanding that a merge doesn't include posts however I called Google Support and was told to merge the brand page into the local page and that that posts would eventually transfer over.  So, I'm confused :-)

3 - Even though we have ownership of the brand page, under settings for this page, there is no option to connect to a different page since brand pages don't have map locations.  The only option i see is to delete the brand page.  I have searched and searched and only see instructions to merge local pages.  How exactly does one merge a brand page into a local page, retaining the local page only?  

4 - Finally, if there is no merge option for brand INTO local, should we delete the brand page?  Or just leave it??  Any penalties from Google on having a brand page when the company is strictly brick and mortar?

Thanks,

Linda

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Merging a brand page into a local business page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Linda,

My answers below:

Any SEO benefits to having both a local page and a brand page for a brick and mortar business?? No, not really.

2 - If not, can a brand page be merged INTO a local page so posts done previously under the brand page are passed over to the local page? It was my understanding that a merge doesn't include posts however I called Google Support and was told to merge the brand page into the local page and that that posts would eventually transfer over. So, I'm confused :-) Help center doc can be found here - https://support.google.com/business/answer/6010825?hl=en

3 - Even though we have ownership of the brand page, under settings for this page, there is no option to connect to a different page since brand pages don't have map locations. The only option i see is to delete the brand page. I have searched and searched and only see instructions to merge local pages. How exactly does one merge a brand page into a local page, retaining the local page only? See above link.

4 - Finally, if there is no merge option for brand INTO local, should we delete the brand page? Or just leave it?? Any penalties from Google on having a brand page when the company is strictly brick and mortar? There are no penalties for having a local and a brand page.

Excuse the short answers, but I think that should be all you need :) 

Circle back if you need more information and I would be happy to help. 

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Colan!

Regarding my question 3, I was asking about merging a BRAND page into a Local page so as to transfer posts in the brand page to the Google Local page. The link you refer to says there will be a "connect to different page" in settings, however the problem is, there doesn't seem to be this link on BRAND pages??

It's okay for the client to keep the brand page, but I wanted to transfer all is posts done for a long time in the brand page >> into the local page. The local page is where the client has all their reviews and seems the best property to show active posting...

I'm thinking I won't be able to do this and the client will just need to start afresh with new posts in the local page....

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Linda, with this process, essentially what happens is the local "guts" (reviews, address..etc) of the local page are transplanted to the brand page. The end result is that the brand page becomes a local page and is connected to maps. The posts and followers on the brand page will remain intact.

The former local page will become a ghost page that can then be deleted.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Linda J
January 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Aha! I get it now. Thanks for your patience!!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
My pleasure.

Good Luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This was very useful as i was exactly in the same situation with an established brand page and Google Business by default created a new Google+ page. It will probably help many.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gadgetroid - just thought I'd let you know that after this post, I came to find out that there is a bug preventing merging a brand page into a local page.

See this post: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ownership-Conflicts/Connect-a-page-to-Google-Maps-Error/m-...

Maybe it's resolved now, but if not, I hope I can save some people some frustration.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I managed to merge the pages .. I guess its been fixed.

Merging a brand page into a local business page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm having a similar issue as Linda. I have a brand page and business page but I cannot merge them, and my storefront is not showing up on Google Maps. When I follow the instructions here - https://support.google.com/business/answer/6010825?hl=en - I cannot complete step 6. because I can't find my profile. Any help would be most appreciated! Here is my brand page: https://plus.google.com/106539573852362576800/about

Thank you,

Issabella