My Business
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Mall doesn't show on maps only individual stores

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The mall I work for is having issue figuring out how to make our mall show on google maps.  If you search "Edgewater Mall" it will go directly to it but if you zoom into the location where the mall is, only individual stores will show up.  We want to figure out how to make the location say Edgewater Mall as well as list the stores.  

Thank you

Edgewater Mall

2600 Beach Blvd

Biloxi MS 39531

(228) 388-3424

(not sure of my google+ url)

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Mall doesn't show on maps only individual stores

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Tim's suggestion is a good one. However I would point out that working to get a base map icon is probably not worth the effort.

Google assigns those icons for certain categories of business (ATM, restaurant, hotel) as well as for businesses that are "popular". Google never really says what popular is but it is likely that it comes from a lot of searches on the company name in Google and Google Maps. We don't really know. One possibily is to create a Google MyMap for your website that highlight your mall and embed it on a page that is view frequently. Another is to add a link to directions on Google which takes folks to a search for your business.

But that being said NEXT TO NO ONE in the real world actually zooms that far into Google Maps to look at those icons.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Michelle R

This should get you headed in the right direction

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/1685896

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Tim's suggestion is a good one. However I would point out that working to get a base map icon is probably not worth the effort.

Google assigns those icons for certain categories of business (ATM, restaurant, hotel) as well as for businesses that are "popular". Google never really says what popular is but it is likely that it comes from a lot of searches on the company name in Google and Google Maps. We don't really know. One possibily is to create a Google MyMap for your website that highlight your mall and embed it on a page that is view frequently. Another is to add a link to directions on Google which takes folks to a search for your business.

But that being said NEXT TO NO ONE in the real world actually zooms that far into Google Maps to look at those icons.