My Business
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

MOVE MAP PIN LOCATION

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business services a region, rather than just my specific business address. As I understand it, the only way to get a pin on Google Maps is to click ‘I also serve customers at my business address’. Is there any way that I can have the pin appear at a more suitable location; eg, the centre of the area that I service? Some of my competitors seem to have achieved this: their pins don't correspond to real locations (eg, one is atop a mountain).

I’m tempted to try ‘Edit marker location’, but I’m concerned that if I move the pin too far from my business address, google may reject it.

Are there any other (legitimate) ways to get the pin relocated?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gondwana S
August 2016

Re: MOVE MAP PIN LOCATION

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Gondwana

First question - do you serve customers at your location or only at theirs? If only theirs, then be sure to hide your address.
The central point for SABs is generally in the vicinity of the address.

Moving the pin away from the business address is not a good idea, and goes against the guidelines. If you know of any listings (such as the top of the mountain) where the pin does not accurately reflect the real location, feel free to list them here or send them privately to me on this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScab-dFFGRhWPhz3YVjq9yk270A9PsTr4YIQ9uTkeowOemXnQ/viewform. (post back here and let me know if you take that option)
I'll investigate and escalate to Google for review and action if appropriate.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Margaret. I don't really want to hide the address because I want a pin. If I say I don't serve customers at the business address, then nothing at all appears on the map. I was just hoping to make the pin more indicative of the area served.

I do do some work from the business location so I'm not telling any fibs. :)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If you're a service area business, you won't have a pin appear for your business. If someone's looking at your knowledge panel, they'll see a red area showing your service area, and if they're looking in a map search, your business entry won't have any mark on the map at all, pin or otherwise. Unless you receive customer drop ins at your business location during stated business hours, you should leave your business as a service area business (you can get a listing suspended for not hiding your address if that's what you should be doing). I did some research recently that leads me to believe that having a service area business doesn't hurt your chances to rank, and my personal opinion is that for most industries it doesn't hurt your calls or clicks much to speak of either.

If you have a storefront location with a pin, in your Google My Business dashboard you can move the pin from there. Minor adjustments should be just fine, but if you try and move it to a completely different place, you're going to run into problems. You can't have the pin showing for a different address than you're actually located in. If you've noticed a competitor that's skirting the rules, you can report them for spam if you like. 

whoops, you beat me to the punch @Margaret O! Ah well, leaving this here for posterity. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks James.

MOVE MAP PIN LOCATION

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

13 March 2017

I see that you're having problems also. What a mess! I wrote the following to Google.

After several annums of knowing Google, I see that it still is an illogically-set-up system! What nitwits design this. The listing system is replete with confusing nonsense and mal grammar! It tells me that my listing is a duplicate. Why can't I simply continue the editing? I'm asked if I would like to delete it. So, how do I know which is the one I should delete? There is no display of both; I only see one listing. Google seems to be run by confused, illogical half-wits–––very triste!

Thank-you in advance if the system is revamped. –––Richard Otto