My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Location Page vs Brand Page

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a Location Page with its own URL and also a Brand Page with its own URL.

The Location Page is verified and displays contact information, views, reviews, and some other basic stuff. The Brand Page displays About information, Story, Links and more, but it does not display any location info. Apart from these differences, the two pages look nearly identical.

Having two pages that look 90% the same is confusing to me and my clients. Is there a way to combine them into a single Page that includes everything (e.g., About, Links, Contact, Map, and so forth)?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Location Page vs Brand Page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff S

Follow the steps in this article https://support.google.com/business/answer/6010825?hl=en.

Select the second option: I've already created a page for my business - and follow the steps. You do need to be the owner of both pages for this process to be successful.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, that looks promising. Before I try it, may I ask if it's something that can be "undone" if the results are not what I was expecting?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff S

Sadly no - this is a done and dusted deal. If you follow the steps then there's no undo button.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, I figured as much. I'll study the steps in that article and then followup with any further questions. It seems murky at this point, so hopefully I can find additional infos elsewhere.

Thanks again for the help.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Looking further into this, I think I have found the source of my confusion. Here are my two pages:

https://plus.google.com/b/101493567502735812627/101493567502735812627/
https://plus.google.com/b/109764037642781241467/109764037642781241467/

Am I correct in thinking that one of these is the "Location" page and the other is the "Brand" page for my business?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff S

Yes that's right - this one is the location page: https://plus.google.com/101493567502735812627/about and this one is the brand page: https://plus.google.com/109764037642781241467/about

You need to be the owner of both these pages if you wish to connect the brand page to Maps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Awesome, that definitely helps. If I may further my pursuit of understanding with a followup question: I see there is a link to the Location Page here (actually links to both Location and Brand pages):

Untitled-3.jpg

Then from the list of Brand pages there is a preview link to the Brand page itself, as shown here:

Untitled-2.jpg

Where it says "View Page", the link opens the actual Brand Page, as expected. But on the list Location Pages, there is no similar "View Page" link, even though the page does exist:

Untitled-1.jpg

Instead there is a "View Location" link, which opens the Google search results:

Untitled-4.jpg

It seems inconsistent to have Location and Brand Pages so similar in all respects, but then have one preview link open the actual page and the other preview link open the search results. If there are Pages for both Location and Brand, there should be corresponding preview links.

And then back to my original question, where are the *public* links to my Location Page and Brand Page? How do visitors find them?

Thanks again for your help with this.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff S

This is actually a new question :) You originally asked how to link your brand page and location page together.

To answer your new question though, it is almost impossible nowadays to actually find the Local listing page from outside Google+. The information that is on the page appears in local intent searches (on the Knowledge Panel) as well as in Maps, but the actual connection to the G+ Page has been lost now. 

It was never possible to find a Brand page outside of Google+.

So, if someone wants to find your actual pages they need to be searching inside Google+ or you need to provide them with the URLs to go to those pages.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Alright I now understand how it works, but still have a few more questions. Totally fine if you don't have time or whatever to respond, but the whole Google+ labyrinth is very confusing (and I've been working on the Web since around 2001). So I am super appreciative of your generous help. That said, here are hopefully my last questions:

If I want to combine Local and Brand Pages as described here:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/6010825?hl=en.

The instructions say:

'Follow the steps below if you created a Google+ page that isn't a local Google+ page, but you want to connect it to Google Maps"

1) So now in addition to the Local Page and Brand Page, apparently there is a Maps Page? Or when it says "connect it to Google Maps", does it mean connect Brand Page to Google Maps? Totally confused about this, whether there are three Pages, or two Pages plus Maps, or just two Pages (one Local/Maps and one Brand Page).

2) If I do connect my Page that isn't a local Google+ Page, that would have to refer to a Brand Page, correct? So that in effect, the instructions explain how to connect a Brand Page to either the Local Page, or to Maps (not sure, as mentioned in previous question).

3) Further in the instructions, it says to "select Locations from the top of the page, and click Manage this location for the location you want to connect." This conflicts with the what is stated up front, where it refers to "a Google+ page that isn't a local Google+ page". So going into it, I am thinking, based on the instructions, that I am connecting a Page that is not "a local Google+ page". But then later in the instructions, it is telling me to select the Local page..?

4) Further in the instructions, it says "If you hover over the badge, you’ll see "Verified local business"." There is no such badge anywhere on either Local or Brand preview boxes.

5) Here is the confusing part, the instructions say "click Manage this location for the location you want to connect." But it doesn't specify whether I am selecting the Local Page or the Brand Page.. and given the contradictory statements mentioned in question 3), I have no idea whether I should be clicking "Manage this location" for the Brand Page or Local Page.

So yeah, massive confusion regarding the whole Google+ maze of Pages. The instructions are neither clear nor helpful, so any light you can shed on this process would be incredible.

I know that all of these questions may be driving you crazy, but honestly I just want to understand what I am doing, because as you say, once you dive in, "this is a done and dusted deal. If you follow the steps then there's no undo button."

Thanks again for your generous help.