My Business
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Local listing is not showing on Googlemaps properly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a yoga studio and rank pretty well on the normal google index (top 5) for our main keywords: yoga +city, yogastudio +city, yoga in +city, yoga studio +city

Unfortunately, we do barely appear on googlemaps. When I search for "yoga", "yoga-studio", "yogastudio", etc. we do not appear unless you zoom really hard. I do not understand what we need to improve, to get visible in googlemaps.

that's what we did:

1. google business - verified, full with information, pictures, opening hours, category is yoga-studio, etc.

2. ratings - we asked our customers to rate us and we have more ratings than most of the other studios

3. adwords - we booked adwords and sometimes appear as a commercial listing in googlemaps

4. seo - we optimized our site for the keywords mentioned (on- and off-site)

5. content - we added the correct address, googlemaps and all details on our website

Is the listing in googlemaps updating rarely or what might be the reason, we do not properly index? if i check the other studios, they do not have photos, opening ours, details, detailled websites, ratings, etc. but they list way better on googlemaps than we do.

Any idea?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately I only have one.  Have you made sure that you have your address on your website implemented with schema markup?  I would recommend that.  I have also heard some strategize by embedding a map on their contact us page.  Hopefully those might help a bit.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @STUDIO F

Sounds like you're doing a lot of good things. I like @Nate S's suggestions to add schema markup. 

Google determines local ranking based on relevance, distance and prominence (Improve your local ranking on Google guideline). When it comes to the distance factor, Google says "how far is each potential search result from the location term used in a search? If a user doesn't specify a location in their search, Google will calculate distance based on what’s known about their location." Are you checking your local pack rankings in the location you're targeting? 

Your location could be filtered out of the local pack if there are a lot of similar businesses in the area or at your address. If that's the case, you can improve your relevance for the search term and take a look at what your competitors who are ranking are doing differently. 

Best of luck, 

Allie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys. I will try the markup.

Swiss cities are tiny. All the studios are close and even if I am within 500m, it doesnt show up. There is another studio next door which is also top3. It might be, they are taking some visibility from us as they are there since years and we are there since months.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @STUDIO F

When I search your city + yoga, the local pack shows Shaktini Yoga, Bikram Yoga & Living Yoga. When I search your city + yoga on Google Maps, I have to zoom in to see your business. It looks like Yogastudio is filtering you out because of your proximity. I would compare your business categories with these four and see if you can add (to compete) or remove (to avoid spreading yourself too thin) any categories to see movement. Getting reviews on third party sites can also help. You're already doing two great things - ranking well organically and actively getting Google reviews.

If your business is as you say much younger than your nearby competitors - surpassing them may take some time. In the meantime, your Google AdWords paid local pack listing is putting you on top and making your business stand out. If you're not already, I would recommend targeting "Lucerne Yoga" (for which I didn't see your local pack ad) in addition to "Luzern Yoga" (for which I can see your local pack ad), as some of your competitors are targeting this keyword with less competition. 

Best of luck!

Allie