My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Local business that ships worldwide

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm work for a producer located in Toronto and it's also an online platform. We have local pickups option for people from Toronto, but majority of the orders are being shipped worldwide.

We need to be on Google maps, so that locals can easily find us, but when I choose the option "I deliver goods and services to my customers at their location" and try to specify locations that we ship to, system wouldn't let me choose any locations outside of Canada. Is there any way to set shipping to Global?

Also, will our organic search rankings suffer for locations outside of Canada if we tie ourselves to Toronto?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Local business that ships worldwide

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Andriy S

A Google business page is not intended for Global or national coverage. It is intended for local business where customers can make in person contact during business hours.

Hence why online only businesses are not eligible for a google business page.

If customers can come to your business location, then have your physical address displayed. If you meet customers at their location, then you can select I serve customers at their location.

This does not mean a delivery company.

PS: If you choose I serve customers at  their location, anything over a 40 mile radius dilutes the service area and you do not appear in Map listings.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tim,

Though, would adding business locally (where we actually have local business and customers can make in person contact during business hours) hurt our global presence in Organic Search? We rank extremely well in US and get 85% of traffic from outside of Canada (our location).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Andriy S

No because a Google business page is not part of your domain, it is located on a http:// plus.google  domain.

If anything it will give you additional presence where you are not located, ie Google Maps

It also provides business branding as in the knowledge panel and a social presence in Google+

All benefits.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Got it, I'm still a little concerned, because of what is written here: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/62399?authuser=0

If no information is entered in Search Console, Google relies largely on the site's country domain (such as .ca, .de). If you use an international domain (.com, .org, .eu), we'll rely on several signals, including IP address, location information on the page, links to the page, and any relevant information from Google My Business.

Our domain is international and servers are in US (that's where majority of our customers are), I'm afraid that after adding business to Gmaps in Canada, Google may use this signal for organic rankings in US or other countries.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andriy S
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Andriy S

Thats fine its your call at the end of the day.

But think about this. The company uses Facebook or other social media ? they are connected to a location, either in About Me section or the images you use that are geo tagged.

You must have business registration docs publicly visible and available online, which provide location info.

Your website should also by law have full business details available, even more so if you accept any type of Visa payment - so Google already knows where you are located.

Just because you have a physical location, does not mean Google will only show your site to people in that location.

I am in the UK, my GMB page is a local UK address, but 90% of my search traffic is US .... even with my target country set to the UK.

As I said, your choice at the end of the day, but look at the data that you already have.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim,

Makes sense, our address is available to public, though if Google knows the address, it doesn't automatically imply that it will be taken into consideration for rankings. Usually Google follows it's own policies which are provided on support pages and on support pages it's clearly stated that GMB may be used as a signal.

Thanks for your help, it's good to have a second opinion and an example of marketer who has global targeting, but used GMB. I'll check the web for some more examples and then decide. Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Andriy S

Like I said don't take my word for it.

If you are a mozzie, then this might be of use to you:

https://moz.com/blog/why-every-website-should-invest-local-links-citations-whiteboard-friday

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim,

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

J B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
J B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim, great video share - thanks! The example given in the shared video indicates that an "online only" business will benefit from having local links... Yet, my understanding from your posts, is that GMB is not intended for online only businesses. To clarify our operation, we are an online-only (UK registered) business who ship products globally, with a customer support phone line for use in core business hours. Am I correct in understanding that GMB is not at all suitable? If so do you have any insight you can share on achieving local links as indicated in the video? Cheers!