My Business
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Local Shopping Center w/ Offsite Office

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I have a friend who is the Marketing Director for a local shopping center. The offices for the shopping center are offsite and in a different part of town.

Google is currently using the address of one of her tenants, a (delicious) Mexican restaurant. With a branded search, Google has placed the pin for the shopping center in the center of the complex. When you do a branded search for the Mexican restaurant, the pin is on the Mexican restaurant. Once again, they both have the same address.

The question I suppose is- what if you have a destination you absolutely want users to find, that is more a sectioned region that doesn't have a physical address? It is preferred to not use the address of the tenant. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Local Shopping Center w/ Offsite Office

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I did go into MapMaker and discovered I have the option to input a "plot number". Am I on the right track?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Can you provide some of the actual business details to help us investigate?
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
One more question:

When you say:

"The question I suppose is- what if you have a destination you absolutely want users to find, that is more a sectioned region that doesn't have a physical address? It is preferred to not use the address of the tenant"

By destination, do you mean physical business location?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Colan,

Well, the shopping center was given a "range of addresses" from what I understand- all of which are taken by tenants. The shopping center itself, being outdoors, doesn't actually have a physical address. By destination I mean the entire area designated as University Village on Google Maps/Google MapMaker, so I suppose it is business in a sense, even though UV doesn't actually sell anything. They view their job primarily as driving traffic for their tenants.

I want them to keep their pin, but do so by also getting rid of the tenant's address that Google is saying is University Villages'.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Craig M
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey Craig,

A shopping center wouldn't be eligible for a Google My Business account without an actual onsite office. You can add the shopping center on MapMaker as it's own entry and highlight the entire plaza that is inside it so that Google sees the connection. Please read this thread for more on that: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/map-maker/GldYnE4_Ezo

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Thanks Joy!