AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Lack of visability

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

http://weareweddingphotographers.co.uk/  

Tony Hall Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

This does not come up if I do a Google search for Derbyshire Wedding Photographer or Wedding photographers in Derbyshire.

Can you please suggest what I need to do to improve my visibility?

Thank you

Tony

tony@tonyhall.me

1 Expert replyverified_user

Lack of visability

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google uses 3 broad metrics for ranking a set of results:
Proximity
Relevance
Prominence

Proximity is defined as how close the listing is to the assumed position of the searcher. Some searches have a radius of only several miles around the point defined by that assumed position. Obviously you can't do anything about your location or the location of the searcher but you need to realize that the results change depending on those variables. 

Relevance is all the things that Google looks at to understand what a business is and does. It is not a binary assignation and has valence... so a business could be more relevant than another and rank higher. Relevance is accrued to a listing by things like:
- business name
- category at Google
- category elsewhere
- review content at Google
- review content elsewhere
- website content
- anchor text content
- social content
- newspaper article content

So you could get reviews everywhere, have a great website that is easy for Google to understand, get news articles and get shared widely in places like G+. Those would all help with your relevance. 

Prominence speaks to the idea of quantity and quality of "on-line votes" for the business. This is primarily in the form of links to their website, the local quality of those links and the quality of the websites from which they came. A link from the NY Times is likely worth more than a link from the Olean Times Herald.

You could get links from your local chamber of commerce, perhaps the wedding dress maker and other similar businesses and perhaps from your vendors. That would help visibility as well.