My Business
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Knowledge Graph - change from GMB to Wikipedia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

As for the title.

When I enter my company on google it shows the google my business page, but i want it to show the Wikipedia page.

Our Wikipedia page is not "up to date" and optimized yet, but before i move on i would like to know - how do I get the Wikipedia page on my Knowledge Graph?

Do I just optimize and complete the Wiki-page and it will happen automatically or do I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Morten

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Morten H
February 2016

Re: Knowledge Graph - change from GMB to Wikipedia

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Morten H

If the Business page KP is already showing and you have an authoritative Wiki page that has been referenced well around the web, then what you tend to get is a combined KP

The Top half looks like the business KP then after the name and website / direction buttons, you get a snippet from the Wiki page.

If the wiki page also includes structured data like : stock market etc etc , this is listed below the address and tel number section.

So to answer your question, it gets combined into one KP

screencapture (10).png

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Morten

I don't believe you can anythings do to achieve getting a Wikipedia based Knowledge Panel shown instead of a local page based Knowledge Panel

It's all done by their algos and frankly in almost all cases a Wiki based Knowledge Panel comes up for brands only.
In case there is a local page they will very likely not show any wiki based Knowledge Panel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Helmut, thanks for the reply.

I was just wondering when i had my google my business AND a optimized Wikipedia-page, which one would google choose? I want it to be Wiki instead of GMB that's why.
I know a company here in my country where the Wiki-page shows, and at us the GMB page shows. And the other company have a GMB aswell.

So you're saying I should just optimize my Wiki-page and pray the the algorithm choose Wiki instead of GMB :)?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Nope Morten I don't think optimizing your wiki presence will help to get a Wiki based Knowledge Graph As I said: Local pages get (in almost all case I'm aware of) a Local bases Knowledge Graph. Wike based Knowledge Graph get brand pages only (if ever!!!???)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The company im working for about is not local. It's a some what big company on the web in my country.
The company who has a wiki page listed as knowledge graph is a bank in my country, and a bank is not really a brand is it?

So I dont think the size or the brand of my company is the problem.

So I was just wondering if i could do something.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Morten H
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Morten H

If the Business page KP is already showing and you have an authoritative Wiki page that has been referenced well around the web, then what you tend to get is a combined KP

The Top half looks like the business KP then after the name and website / direction buttons, you get a snippet from the Wiki page.

If the wiki page also includes structured data like : stock market etc etc , this is listed below the address and tel number section.

So to answer your question, it gets combined into one KP

screencapture (10).png

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership