My Business
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Josephine's Attic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just verified my business, Josephine's Attic. I am struggling with the category options for my business, we are a vintage home furnishings store. When I type 'vintage' the ONLY option that appears is 'vintage clothing store' I cannot believe that there is no option for 'vintage store' with a sub category as 'furniture' I already have numerous calls about vintage clothing, which I DO NOT sell or buy. Will there be an option for 'vintage store' soon?  I know that there are thousands of vintage shops around the country, so I know that I am not the only one with this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

~Angela

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Josephine's Attic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
you can't and shouldn't expect such "sub-category" added to their default
listing.
Use instead any of the available categories for "furniture shop"

Make clear via your website you are specialized on your mentioned
subcategory using "structured data" (through schema.org)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I took a quick peak at high ranking vintage furniture stores in some of the big cities, and here are some of the categories that I saw:

antique furniture store
furniture store
antique furniture restoration service
antique store
Used Furniture Store
Oriental Rug Store

Pick the most appropriate categories, and at that point how your website is set up, who links to you, what language people use when leaving you a review, and how your business is described in some of the 3rd party directories (Yelp, etc.) will be what makes sure you show up for vintage furniture as well.

Also as a head's up, I'm in the US. If you're somewhere else, there will be different categories that are going to be available to you, so some of these might not be available, and other good ones might not be one my list, but that's a place to start at least. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response, Helmut Geissler.
I do not have a website, yet, so that is not a viable option. Is there no way to request a category expansion? "Vintage clothing store" as the only option when one types "vintage" just seems like an extremely narrow category. Especially, given the blossoming vintage market that is happening currently in this country. Is is not possible to request another category?
~Angela
Josephine's Attic owner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am in the US. I am not just a furniture store. I am a vintage shop, primarily selling furniture and home accessories. Those categories are not really correct for my business.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

One of the huge things that's been on Google's radar for years now is getting better at something called 'semantic search'. In plain English, that means that Google wants to know that when you're talking about feline health, you might be interested in cat health as well. There's a million ways to say things in English, and Google's getting better and better at distinguishing between what things actually mean, and what things are related. Plus, those categories aren't available for anyone, so you'll be on the same playing field as anyone else. 

To answer your question though, no, there's no way to request a new category. You'll need to use what's there. If you don't end up showing on the map for vintage furniture though, the lack of the category won't be the reason... there's a ton of things that Google looks at to decide which businesses to show. Everything from the website, to the reviews people leave, even all the way out to state business registration records potentially. Use the best categories here, and if you're not ranking in a few months where you think you should, and if you decide that that's where you'd like to invest some of your advertising budget, I'd suggest thinking about a website as a next step. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

It's perfectly fine to select more than one category to fully flesh out the services and products in your business. The first one you choose does matter though, so make that one the most important one. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I completely agree, James! The issue has become there is no way to properly categorize the business. I am not an antique shop, nor am I a furniture store. If there was a more broad category of 'vintage store' versus only having the "vintage clothing store" category. Then I could select "vintage store" and "furniture store" and make it very clear what category my shop falls into. I already have many people calling looking for antiques and clothing, they become quite flustered when I clarify. I couldn't imagine the calls if that was my google listing!!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have selected "used furniture" for a category. It's all I can do. It is just a shame that there is no option to suggest a new category. I know that I am not the only vintage shop in the country!!

Thank you for your help.