My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Indian Freelance SEO Spam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Since endeavouring to list on google My Business, for search engine optimisation, I have received multiple calls from companies, claiming to be based in Southern California, but obviously based in India, that inform me they are partnering with Google and can help me get my company on the first page of the Google search. even just today, Friday January 14, in the state of Victoria, Australia, i have received 7 call from people with Indian accents claiming to be able to help me optimise my Google search engine position to the first page.
How legitimate are these companies in Google's view? and what can i do to stop them calling?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Indian Freelance SEO Spam

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @John G

Unfortunately Google cannot vouch for cold-call agencies.  It is a common tactic you've described there, so I'd say you need to do your research before you engage anyone.

I also recommend you familiarise yourself with Google's guidelines about hiring an agency

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35291

There are two very important statements to remember:

• Be wary of SEO firms and web consultants or agencies that send you email out of the blue.
  • No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google.

You've described calling, not emailing, but the sentiment is the same.

As far as stopping them - that is entirely out of Google's control.  Depending on the law of the land (where you are), you may be able to add your number to a do-not-call registry. TBH in my experience that still doesn't stop them, regardless of the country they're calling from.  Part of being online unfortunately.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog