My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Incorrect Icon on Google Maps for Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I have a massage parlor at 5518 Roosevelt Way N.E, Seattle, WA, 98105. I have registered the business with Google My Business and verified the business with the code that Google sent me to the postal address of the business. However, when I search for the business on Google Map (using the business category) a small green flag appears on the map against my business whereas all other spa nearby appears with a big red circle and a white square in it. I have verified that all my business categories are correct and matches other spas nearby. Can someone help me figure out why I do not see the big red circle with a white square. It is not about ranking as it used to show the red circle before I verified my business. Can someone please help?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Incorrect place level on Google Maps for Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I have a massage spa at 5518 Roosevelt Way N.E, Seattle, WA, 98105. I have registered the business with Google My Business and verified the business with the code that Google sent me to the postal address of the business. However, when I search for the business on Google Map (using the business category) sometimes a small green flag appears on the map against my business (and sometimes it shows another business at this address which is closed) whereas all other spa nearby appears with a big red circle and a white square in it. I have verified that all my business categories are correct and matches other spas nearby. Can someone help me figure out why I do not see the big red circle with a white square. It is not about ranking as it used to show the red circle before I verified my business. Can someone please help?

Re: Incorrect Icon on Google Maps for Business

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Lavella S

forget for a minute the "icon"

Do have any enemies?

At least this user https://mapmaker.google.com/mapmaker?uid=204928304396946808497&gw=66&hl=en seems to be one.

(S)he is trying to change or hijack your business

See below:

Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 19.43.06.png

(s)he is trying to change "Lavella spa" to "Emerald City Massage & Wellness"

Incorrect place level on Google Maps for Business

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

don't start a new thread. stay tuned on https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/Incorrect-Icon-on-Google-Maps-f...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
> Helmut,
> Thanks for your reply. She is not my enemy, she just took over the business at that place starting 1st December. I was trying to add my business when I owned it, but could not get the correct place level (red circle with white square inside) as the other businesses of the same category. Do you know why I wasn't getting the correct place level.
>
> Also what does a small green flag means? This is what I was getting instead of the red circle.
>
> Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Frankly said @Lavella S

I don't see the "small green flag"

Please provide a screen capture showing it.

Below read how to add screen captures or similar to posts: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/How-to-add-screen-captures-or-s...
(or upload them to a public picture site - linking them to here)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Frankly / Helmut,

Below are the three screen shots that I am talking about. The first two is what I see (when I search for massage) and the last one is what I expected to see (same as what other businesses in the same category is showing). You many not be able to see exactly what I am seeing - I see that only at certain zoom level, I needed to zoom in and out to see that flag icon, but if I see my business in the search, I see it with the flag icon (I was seeing the same icon even after the business was verified). Sometimes it shows an old business at the same location which was closed long back.

I wanted to know what that flag icon means and what I might have done differently to get that flag instead of the red circle.

Thank you so much for your help.gMap.PNGgMap2.PNGgMap3.PNG

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - Any help on this? How is the icon selected, I mean the flag versus the red circle, for the same business category?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

you missed tagging me so I did not get any notification you preovided screenshots.

The two red circled icons are "grey" for my rather green.

But this are what google call a place label 

Learn more about this stuff: 

https://support.google.com/business/answer/6056435?hl=en

you canenforce getting such place labels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Helmut

If I read your reply correctly, you are saying that I can enforce place labels. I went through the link you sent long back, but could find any information how I can enforce a particular place label. All it says is that the algorithm to select place labels depends on various factors like accuracy of the business etc. In these regards, my business has all correct information and also verified.

It also says that if I see a problem with the place labels, I can file a report. Is this what I am supposed to do? I could not find any other information on the page you provided as to how to edit the place label. Am I missing something?

Also how do I tag you in a reply? I thought if I reply to your post it automatically notifies you - isn't that correct?

Thank you.