My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Incorrect Icon on Google Maps for Business

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, everyone, I run a taxi business in London "Personal cars airport minicabs". It's doing well showing up everywhere in google about 22 good reviews in google map listing. In my local area, it shows up at the top whenever some search for my business category "Taxi". It used to show big red with white squire in the middle. Everything was going well.

All of sudden my business listing disappeared from good map listing than a few days later started to show again at the bottom end with a red dot instead of the big red icon and a few days later instead of a big red icon it started showing a big red icon with camera in the middle.

It seems that google is reading my business as a tourist place instead of a taxi business.Its been more than 10 years my business has very goog presences on all google platforms and I never had a problem, I have a website too which appearing high enough in my targeted are www.personalcars.co.uk.

But since this icon has changed traffic to my business listing has dropped very badly and it's not showing for my business category as it used to show. Anybody know about this problem? aAny help is much appreciated.

Saeed

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Incorrect Icon on Google Maps for Business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @saeed

Did you add "Tourist Attraction" as a category to your listing? I would check your Google My Business dashboard to see which categories are listed there and remove that one if it is present.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

hi Tom, Thanks for your reply. No not at all, my business is a taxi business and as I mentioned its been there for a long time. never had a problem. Not sure what and where thing went wrong.

Still struggling. I rang help line but those people don't know anything. I feel I know better than them.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @saeed

Looking at your listing in MapMaker it shows additional categories were added recently, including "Tourist Attraction".

What categories are showing in your Google My Business dashboard?

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, Yes it was showing in dashboard too. Maybe I added by mistake or thought its related to my business. Anyways I have removed now. The problem is still there but I am hoping it will get improved as the time goes.

I still have multiple categories but they all are related to my business. Do you think I should keep them all or just stick to the main one which is "taxi service"

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @saeed

You're welcome. I'm getting the red circle with the white square for your listing so that's a good sign. I checked the categories you have on the listing now and I think they're all good. I think you're all set now and hopefully you will be seeing the red circle with the white square marker soon too.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your quick and very helpful reply. Yes, I remove that category a week ago on your advice and icon changed very next day which is great.

Now the problem is that before this issue my business was at the top in the local area with keyword like "taxi in Wandsworth" Wandsworth taxi" " minicabs in Wandsworth" "cabs Wandsworth" etc

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=taxi+in+wandsworth&*

But now my business doesn't show up with these keywords and it's just a little dot on the map. My business has good 22 reviews which are more than other local competitors in the area. I have a good amount of traffic to my website too I also have a good presence in the natural listing in my local area but still, my business is not getting exposures as it used to get.

Any help in this regard at all, please?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ah, yes I think it may need some time to recover from being categorized as a tourist attraction but I can't say for sure. If I click on the link you supplied for 'taxi in wandsworth', you're not in the local 3 pack but if I click on 'More places' under the map results to view more I get you as the 4th result. So you're not far out. If your listing gets back into the 3 pack it will have the larger dot on that initial search result view.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I used to be at the top in this pack of 3 all the time for this keyword and some other keywords but now you can see I am dropped down to 4th. You probably right it may need some time to recover. Any expert advice/suggestion by looking at my listing, google+ page, reviews, quality of the contents etc?

Thanks