My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

If I mark my local business as "Permanently Closed" will it have negative effect on Organic Rankings

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi, my client would like to remove his Google My Business listing from the local pack since he is receiving negative reviews from people who are not even his customers (some are people who have called asking for a price or questions and then they leave a negative review that the price is too high or the person on the phone was rude etc). So I have two questions:

1. If we mark the listing as permanently closed, will it have any negative effect on the purely organic listing/URL which the Google My Business was linked to.

2. Are people allowed to leave google reviews if they are not actual customers? eg they don't have a receipt to prove a transaction?

Thank you very much for your time and help

Kind regards,

Darko

1 Expert replyverified_user

If I mark my local business as "Permanently Closed" will it have negative effect on Organic Rankings

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Darko

1. Marking the business as permanently closed will not remove the knowledge panel when someone searches for the business, meaning that they will still be able to leave a review. It will just add a red banner to the knowledge panel informing them that it is Permanently Closed.

2. In my experience, anything you do to your GMB page should not affect your organic results for the business website.

3. Unfortunately, people are able to leave fake reviews. It is such a common issue, I ended up making a simple guide on how to deal with them: https://www.bowlerhat.co.uk/how-to-remove-fake-reviews-on-google/

Hope this helps

Re: If I mark my local business as "Permanently Closed" will it have negative effect on Or

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
@ 1# "permanently closed" will not prevent from showing the knowledge
graph ans the reveiws
@ 2# only customers should be allowed to reveiw a business.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Thank you for your reply @Helmut Geissler.

With regards, to question 1: the question was, will marking the business as permanently closed in Google maps effect the purely organic rankings which are below the maps listings? Do you know of any studies/tests/sources that i can check to confirm this?

Regarding question 2: do you know the best way to get google to remove these reviews that are not from actual customers? 

Thanks a lot for your help! 

I appreciate it.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Hi @Ryan S and thank you for your help! I have read your article and clicked the link in the post you suggested: "Click this link and fill in the fields." but i do not see anything on that page that will allow me to fill out the form to contact Google regarding these "non-customer reviews"... Please advise if there is another way to do it.

Thank you!

Darko

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Darko D

I don't know of any studies/tests/sources that you can check to confirm "...marking the business as permanently closed in Google maps [will] effect the purely organic rankings which are below the maps listings".

Frankly said I have no clue whether or not there is any notable affect on the ranking

Regarding 2#

only Google can remove such reviews - but I don't thing they will.

Try contact business support regarding the reveiws in question giveing them good reasons.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Darko D

I don't know of any studies/tests/sources that you can check to confirm "...marking the business as permanently closed in Google maps [will] effect the purely organic rankings which are below the maps listings".

Frankly said I have no clue whether or not there is any notable affect on the ranking

Regarding 2#

only Google can remove such reviews - but I don't thing they will.

Try contact business support regarding the reveiws in question giveing them good reasons.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Hi @Helmut Geisslert I have spoken to Google Places and they have confirmed that you do not have to be a customer to leave a review, and that anyone who has interacted with the business can leave a review... They refused to take down my clients bad review posted by someone who called just to enquire about the price and they were not happy as the price was too high in their opinion so they rated it 1 star. Its pretty unfair but what can we do...

Thank you for your help though and all the best.