4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

I need to hide my business address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I would need to hide my business address because I am offering waxing services specifically for men and ever since I added my address on Google Maps I get tons of calls from people which I know are not "legitimate waxing clients" calling for information about Brazilian waxing.

Since this is a home business, such bad solicitation is not appreciated and I did not post my address on my website so I was not worried before adding it to Google.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nora G
August 2016

Re: I need to hide my business address

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Nora G

Google not only has an option for hiding your address, you can even get your profile suspended for not hiding it when you don't accept walk-ins. Any appointment only business should have it hidden. 

All you'll need to do is set up your business to be a service area business. Just go to your profile, go to your address, and click "I deliver goods and services to my customers at their locations." and uncheck "I serve customers at my business address". I know the prompts don't fit your business exactly since you do serve customers at their address, but that's the settings you need to get your address hidden. 

Hope that helped,
James

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great, thank you very much for the help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Will hiding the physical address reduce my rankings ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I did a bit of research a few months ago asking questions like that for wedding photographers. For that industry at least, after looking at a few thousand photographers and seeing how different factors correlated with rankings, I'm convinced that having your location hidden doesn't hurt your chance at ranking well. I've heard some of the other top contributors here and other local SEO experts echo the same sentiment. 

In some industries though, you might find that having a hidden address makes it less likely that customers will call your business, instead of a competitor that has a storefront. If you get less attention for long enough, Google will stop showing you as often. Having a hidden address can also mean certain 3rd party business directories are closed to you, and that can be a mild advantage for those with an address to show. Either way though, don't worry about it, hide your address if you need to. You can safely assume it won't make that big of a difference. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Whittaker H

adding one point to what @james w already said

according the experience of some of us TCs seem having a service area with hidden address and a huge service area of more the 40 miles per radius no  benefit at all on your ranking.

To say it stronger:

Any SAB  >> 40 miles will  likely lead in not getting ranked  at all.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That's true, I probably should have said "As long as your business is set up correctly, having a service area business won't negatively affect your rankings". Thanks for the clarification @Helmut Geissler.

I need to hide my business address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I followed these instructions but my address is still showing. Please advise.

John

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @John T

Please start your own thread providing there all information to understand and investigate your issue
This allows us to keep the forum organized and gives you the attention you need.
This ( https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB ) is our top level Community--from there, you can click into the board title that is most applicable for your issue. Once you're in an individual board, you can click on the red/pink + sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Note:

I will block this very old thread for any new replies now

james w