My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

I cannot enter the same business CATEGORY that my competitors use

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cant eneter a correct CATEGORY or my business listing:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/1335+Davenport+Rd,+Toronto,+ON+M6H+2H4/@43.6731948,-79.4414368,17z/...

We are a business that sells and services Espresso Machines for home, office and commercial use, but I had to use "WHOLESALER" as my category since Google would not allow me to use ANY other category remotely related to my business!

Meanwhile my competitors are using categories such as "Restaurant Supply Company" or even "Appliance Store" but none of these are allowed by Google - what gives?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
May 2016

Re: I cannot enter the same business CATEGORY that my competitors use

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Jackie Z

Its a category bug for Canada as I figured out (and I will escalate this bug to Google now)

All available categories are listed in here

for Canada in Categories_en_CA.csv and 

for the US Categories_en_US.csv

Both lists contain the category I mentioned and recommended you previously here to use for you: "Restaurant Supply Store"

But if applying this category through business.google.com/create for Canada it fails (doesn't get accepted while using the same category through business.google.com/create for the US it works)

Until there is any fix available I recommend trying any other closed category

listed in here (for Canada in categories_en_CA.csv)

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
according this list
https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories and therein
the sublisted "categories_en_CA.csv
<>" it
should be possible to use the category

"Restaurant Supply Store" for canadian business.
Have you tried it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanx for responding Helmut ... I tried a few from that same list, as well as "Restaurant Supply Store" and several categories my competitors are using

... I am the Owner of the account, and i even logged out and back in, but when I try to save, either as a primary or secondary category, all i get is the same RED LETTER response :

"We didn't understand your category. Please select from suggestions that appear when typing."

After dozens of different relevant words or combinations I am stuck with "wholesaler", which is maybe 5% of my business ... :-(

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

what's the country of  your Busienss  @Jackie Z ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm in Canada Helmut ... and though I am not an IT pro (and am new to google) i am not new to software. I've looked at this problem from every angle I can imagine and it's as frustrating as it is ridiculous, especially since ALL my competitors have all selected appropriate categories and i am more tech-savvy than most of them!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Jackie Z

Its a category bug for Canada as I figured out (and I will escalate this bug to Google now)

Both lists contain the category I mentioned and recommended you previously here to use for you: "Restaurant Supply Store"

But if applying this categorie through business.google.com/create for Canada it fails (doesn't get accepted while using the same category through business.google.com/create for the US it works)

Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Jackie Z

But if applying this category through business.google.com/create for Canada it fails (doesn't get accepted while using the same category through business.google.com/create for the US it works)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You are a hard-working man Helmut - thank you for escalating this. I would love to hear about a bug fix for this.

I tried a few more times, including using different browsers, but still it wont take. I am back to the "wholesaler" category since it is only closest description that fits and won't mislead people: for a while we had it listed as "espresso bar" and people were occasionally walking in thinking we were a cafe!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
since your category matter is replicable for me (despite sitting in Germany) while trying to create a business in Canada I am sure it's a bug to fix.
Means infact: there is right now nothings you can do as wait & pray - or selecting what ever alternative category

I cannot enter the same business CATEGORY that my competitors use

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have posed the same question this morning. (Canadian in Canada....competitors in Canada too ~ same province)  I think when they changed the face of google (1)google maps to (2)google places then (3) google business would perhaps be how things got muddled. Too many hands in the pot. I'm also trying to get out of the business as being a "brand". None of my listed businesses are categorized as brands (before). Is there any way to get google staff to read these forums?