My Business
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to stop village/town AND Post Code showing in 'service area' listing?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Re: Fine Pet Portraits

Can anyone advise - just set up...

a website owner doesn't want their home address (ie Capel/Dorking) shown on Google My Business and I understand that this should be possible by displaying the 'service area'...

BUT...

the village where the website owner lives AND the postcode is displayed on the Google Maps listing.... which displays the Business and with the village AND post code this virtually says what the address is.

Is there any way of NOT displaying town/village/postcode on My Business?
2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I'm not sure what there would a problem?

Showing ticy or town AND a postcode is not the address or am I mistaken 

Are there countries where a certain postcode refers to a concrete street address?

Its not the case in my contry and I don't believe this is the case in the US, Canada or in any other country - 

Can you give a sample please?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In the UK a typical postcode will show the road or in the case of a long road - part of that road... typically - I have just entered my own post code into Google and on Google maps it shows the house immediately opposite mine in our residential road and if I swivel the map around it shows my own house. So, in real terms 'not showing the address' is nonsense.  

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Example.. search UK maps for RH1 6PH just plucked at random... OR go to Google maps in UK (not sure if this is the case in other countries.... if you zoom in on a house/street you will actually be shown the post code... and typically in a residebtial road a post code will only cover a certain number of properties

Re: How to stop village/town AND Post Code showing in 'service area' listing?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Please @Tim Capper  can you put your cent's on the issue of @Neil C?

You are more familat with the UK

Re: How to stop village/town AND Post Code showing in 'service area' listing?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Neil C

Yes you are correct, a postcode does cover a small area, but to actually find the physical location a person would still be knocking on quite a few doors.

Google will not stop displaying Town and Postcode

Having said that, I don't really understand the concern as you can find any legitimate businesses address publicly available anyway, through Companies House, Credit Checkers, Telephone Lookup, Domain Whois etc.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In this case it is for personal reasons that the website owner who is a sole trader working from home who doesn't want people visiting their house. You have answered what I perceived to be the situation. It does seem to be a bit of a grey area by Google saying that they won't show your 'address' but essentially, virtually do. But hey, it is what it is.