My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to stop review from google local business page ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How to disable reviews from google local business page ?

5 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by PriyaC (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: How to stop review from google local business page ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin, 

I'm almost positive there is no way to disable reviews on a Google my Business local profile. If you're having trouble with inappropriate or spam reviews though, you can report them. 

Here are the guidelines and instructions:
https://support.google.com/business/answer/4596773?hl=en

You can also report it to business support if that doesn't work:
https://support.google.com/business/#topic=4539639&contact=1

On the other hand, if you're getting valid, negative reviews from actual customers, you'll have to respond to the negative review directly. Guidelines and instructions are here:
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3474050?hl=en

Honestly, your best option is to embrace that the reviews are going to be there, and plan a way to slowly and steadily encourage customers over time to leave reviews. There are of course guidelines for how you should do that, if you're looking for ideas, here's an older but still relevant article from Moz to help with the brainstorming. 
https://moz.com/blog/getting-reviews-the-right-way-for-local-businesses

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi +kevin n

@james w is correct - there is no way to stop reviews from being left on a Local business page. He's provided some great links and suggestions on how to respond - I highly recommend following his advice.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks for the information, my client wants to keep all the business reviews in one place (not on google), Tripadviser i think.

So it looks like im going to get rid of his business page here on google.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Kevin

You won't be able to get rid of the local business page from Google. Deleting it will only remove the page from your dashboard, along with the ability to respond to reviews. The page itself however will remain visible via Google Maps and so will the ability for people to leave reviews.

If the client is encouraging people to leave reviews on TripAdvisor then it is unlikely they will come to Google to leave a review, as it is not the first place people think of leaving a review. However, if they do choose that path then you / your client have to be in a position to respond and reply and keeping ownership of the page is the only way to do that.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
this is not looking good then.

Google is effectively hijacking. If there is no option to get rid of this entry.

all i wanted to do is put a 'marker' on google maps.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I'm afraid it's not just Google. There's a lot of different directories that will create a profile for your business without your knowledge even, all based on where your business is listed. So for example, getting a profile set up at tripadviser, would likely end up with Google creating a profile for you, along with Facebook, Yelp, and any other number of directories, ALL of which allow users to go on and leave reviews. 

You shouldn't get upset about it either. If you care about customers being able to find you, you want your business showing up properly in as many of the relevant directories as possible, given your industry and location. 

The best thing you can possibly do, is just take that as a given, and get on board with it. Make sure you claim all the listings that might already exist where a user can leave a review, and just be ready to respond if the occasional straggler posts about your client's business somewhere other than trip adviser. You absolutely made the right move creating a Google my Business profile for your client, since if you hadn't, it would have eventually been made automatically anyway in all likelihood, and then you wouldn't have been notified or had the ability to respond if anyone left a review there. The good news is it won't happen often if you focus on talking about trip adviser, the bad news is that this is just the way things are now, all you can do is prepare and keep your eyes on the other places they might start talking. Facebook, Yelp, and Google are good places to go find your business and claim it so you can get notifications if someone leaves a review, but depending on your industry, that's definitely not going to be all the places people can talk about you whether you're aware of it or not. Better to be proactive about it and just take it as a given that this is what you have to do when you're guiding a client through all this. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In Australia - for all registered health professions it is against the law to use testimonials in advertising your practice. It is also illegal to respond to any posts as this is seen as a breach of patient confidentiality. So Google is putting registered health professionals in a legal quandary when it gives them no choice about whether or not to receive feedback. Thanks for nothing Google!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Jeff P

Jeff P wrote:

In Australia - for all registered health professions it is against the law to use testimonials in advertising your practice. It is also illegal to respond to any posts as this is seen as a breach of patient confidentiality. So Google is putting registered health professionals in a legal quandary when it gives them no choice about whether or not to receive feedback. Thanks for nothing Google!

I pretty good remember older threads in the older GMB forum where users also said there is such an Australian law and Google would violate  laws providing the option to review health-related businesses.

But we never got any usable proof from such users about what concrete Australian law Google is violating regarding this matter.

Would you mind please to quote us such law?

I would be happy the to forward or escalate it to the GoogleMyBusiness team.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

The laws that pertain to the use of client/patient testimonials are here http://www.ahpra.gov.au/About-AHPRA/What-we-do/Legislation.aspx
As each state and Territory in Australia has its own law, there are a number of different pieces of legislation. However these laws are all coordinated to have the same Nationwide effect.
A good summary of these laws is attached.

By allowing or even soliciting testimonials (good or bad) the health practitioner is placed without their consent into a position of unlawful conduct. Health Practitioners in Australia must have the option to opt out of receiving client/patient feedback that is automatically posted for all to see when someone does a Google search.

I await the day that Google will comply with local National laws in this regard.

Jeff