My Business
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to have a "flag" on the map

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I don't know if its the correct term but i wonder how I get an Icon like my competition has on the map marking my business?

When I google " Lisbon tours" or " Sintra Tours", which are some of the main services I provide my business does not appear on the map only when I google " Portugal top tours" which is my business name and not a common search term for this market

Thank You

David

Name: Portugal Top Tours

Address: Rua Leitão de Barros, 10, 4º esq  1500-384 Lisboa

Phone: 967 146 440

Google+URL  http://plus.google.com/u/3/b/101002061733397126462/101002061733397126462/posts/p/pub?_ga=1.247140292...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to have a "flag" on the map

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David L, you are likely referring to Place Labels. Just to confirm, can you share a screen shot of what you are referring to?

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

This is what I am looking for:

[image: Inline image 2]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
sorry I`ve tried to post the print screen without success but its those red dots that appear on the map like this one:

http://www.google.pt/search?espv=2&q=lisbon+tours&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=38740939,-9161846,969...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
And I checked your link and confirm those are the place lables, I have the business confirmed address and all my profile filled still it does not appear.. Iis there some content I need to put at my business description so it becomes relevant to searches?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
The problem is related to the fact that you aren't ranked at all in the search results. If you were, you would have a place label like the rest of the businesses that rank. So the first thing you need to address is figuring out how to get into the search results.

Here's a resource to get you started - https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091?hl=en

To quote Mike Blumenthal, a fellow TC:

Google uses 3 main metrics for ranking:
Proximity
Relevance
Prominence

Proximity is defined as how close the listing is to the assumed position of the searcher. Some searches have a radius of only several miles around the point defined by that assumed position.

Relevance is all the things that Google looks at to understand what a business is and does. It is not a binary assignation and has valence... so a business could be more relevant than another and rank higher. Relevance is accrued to a listing by things like:
-business name
-category at Google
-category elsewhere
- review content at Google
- review content elsewhere
- website content
- anchor text content
- social content
- newspaper article content

Prominence speaks to the idea of quantity and quality of "on-line votes" for the business. This is primarily in the form of links to their website, the local quality of those links and the quality of the websites from which they came. A link from the NY Times is likely worth more than a link from the Olean Times Herald.

Any given search result will change on Google ever few miles that a searcher moves through the world (real or virtual) and there are as many search results as there are searchers. These results are changed based on the search location, his previous searches, places he has reviewed, places and websites he has viewed.
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You Colan.

I have already check that list:
Enter complete data-ok
verify location-ok
keep hours updated-ok
manage and respond to reviews-ok
upload photos-ok

So do I need some kind of SEO good practice at my google business profile or is it related to the fact my website is not sufficiently visited? because I can see competitors on that list with zero reviews and poor profile information and photos...

Thank You,David