My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to get a virtual business on Google My Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the FAQ section of the Google My Business main page, it says:

Can I still use Google My Business if I don’t have a store front?

Absolutely. Whether you’re a home-based business or a service-area business, you can list your details to appear on Google with or without an address.

Fantastic.  I have two separate home-based businesses and would like to get them listed without an address.  How?  It forces you to put in an address, and will not accept a PO Box.  So, what's the secret?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
December

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Andrea R

Some clarification. Yes businesses like plumbers who work from home can hide address and have a GMB listing. That's because they service local customers in person.

So it's not working from home that's an issue, it's the fact that "virtual" or online only businesses are not allowed a listing - even if you hide the address.

Google Local is only for businesses where customers can go to the business location, like a Dentist OR that go out to local customers and meet them face to face like plumbers and house cleaners.

Does that make sense?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
December

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Andrea R

Some clarification. Yes businesses like plumbers who work from home can hide address and have a GMB listing. That's because they service local customers in person.

So it's not working from home that's an issue, it's the fact that "virtual" or online only businesses are not allowed a listing - even if you hide the address.

Google Local is only for businesses where customers can go to the business location, like a Dentist OR that go out to local customers and meet them face to face like plumbers and house cleaners.

Does that make sense?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run a virtual consulting agency. However it's only ''virtual'' to clients outside of my state. For those in my state, I conduct in-person meetings and consultations at their place of business, coffee shops, etc. Is it still possible for me to set up my listing under a mobile business? Or can that shoot me in the foot for my non-local clients?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Lindsay D

If you see clients in person locally you can set up a Google Local listing. You would need to choose the right service area settings in your dashboard which will hide your address. No having a Google listing won't hurt your non-local business, but it won't help it either.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There doesn't seem to be a valid path for 100% virtual businesses, only work-arounds. Take a virtual business like Yelp, or Trip Advisor, or my particular business, all of which are 100% virtual. How do I use Google Business to appear in searches? The only physical address we have is a p.o. box for accounting purposes.

Thanks,

Martin