AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to flag a review as inappropriate

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Thanks to the help of the good folks on this forum, I was able to find the "Flag review as inappropriate feature".

I'm stymied now by the fact that the Violation Types in that form don't match the content violation policies Google lists. Because of this, I can't figure out how to flag a review as inappropriate because it violates the "impersonation" policy.

The list of policy violates you can report includes only four options: hateful/violent/inappropriate, advertising/spam, off-topic, or conflict. However, the list of reasons content can violate policy is much longer: advertising, spam, phone numbers and URLs, off topic, keep it clean, conflict, illegal, copyrighted, sexually explicit, impersonation, personal info, and hate speech.

Here are the list of reportable offenses:

http://goo.gl/EcGwYF

And here is the list on the Content Policy page:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/2622994?rd=2

Here's a skitch of the two next to each other, to show what I mean:

https://goo.gl/LPq7H6

Given this, it doesn't seem possible to flag reviews for all of the stated reasons on the content policy page. I'm specifically interested in flagging a review for impersonation (the G+ account was clearly setup only to place this review, and does not represent a real human). How can I do that?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: How to flag a review as inappropriate

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Zach,
Your best bet is to call Google My Business, they will look at the review and escalate it to the backend team and see if it is indeed spam. I have had success with this. https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_c2c_na?hl=en&rd=1#cft=5
Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Zach,

I believe the only way you can report it for impersonation is to report the actual Google+ profile instead of the review, does this make sense?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Zach,
Your best bet is to call Google My Business, they will look at the review and escalate it to the backend team and see if it is indeed spam. I have had success with this. https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_c2c_na?hl=en&rd=1#cft=5
Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
google needs to grow up and make it easier for businesses, that invest tons of money and time trying to survive in this business world by allowing us to flag reviews...for my business there is no question some of the postings are fakes...google wants us to advertise our business and spend a lot of money doing so but google controls the ratings or fake or angry people, some of whom are fired employees or the competition...you have to be better than this google...and the stress of these ratings is not worth all the headaches...allow us to not allow ratings in the first place...and do it yesterday...thank you...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That was 25 minutes of wasted time! Even though the "reviewer" only had 1 review, the call center said it did not violate their policies for review. Thanks Matt Cutts!

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This older "Solved" thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Google My Business Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.