My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to contact someone who left a review?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The subject says it all. How do you contact someone who leaves a review on Google My Business?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You can respond to the review.

Or locate their name on Google+ and send them a DM ( thats if they created a G+ account)

There is no direct way and if it was a one time account created just to leave the review, its virtually impossible

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have responded to the review. That has produced nothing. They don't appear to be on Google+

Google's practices and policies in these respects are completely irresponsible. Where do we leave scathing (but truthful and deserved) reviews about Google?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hopefully a Googler will read this post.

I guess leave a review on the local Google office to you.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Rob P & @Robert P

adding to what @Tim Capper said.

responses to reviews can get filtered like any review can.

So it could well be your responses to a certain review have been filtered by their algos.

In case oyu guys would paste here the filtered response to a review we could have a look to advice you how to avoid the filtering

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you know if your allowed to share your consumer service email or any other contact information in the review reply?

Re: How to contact someone who left a review?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Justin R

Guidelines do say not to leave email or personal info within a Review, but thats for the reviewer. Then looking at the Google docs on replying to a review ( https://support.google.com/business/answer/3474050 ) they dont say anything specifically about this and then link to content policy which again says not to leave personal info.

So I am going to say, it is okay to leave your customer support email in the review response. It also make logical sense!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

addin gtowhat @Tim Capperjsut said:

I  have seen many reviews and responses to them where the owner said  like "please email us and tell us more specifics about your concerns" mntioning an email address to use by the revewer.

This said:

Goolge seems (actually)  tolarating to mention an email in a owner reponse

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't understand. None of these comments apply to the issue at hand. Filtering is not at issue.

The person leaving the review has no presence or profile. They apparently signed up once, for the purpose of leaving a phony review, and haven't been seen from again. It's not like they are going to be anywhere where they will see the reply I might leave to their review, or care about it.

Google flashes the sum of this one review all over the place, they don't broadcast my reply which shows that the review is from someone who has never done business with me. Google can't label my business a 'four-star' organization, and characterize it as something it is not, on the basis of comments from someone that Google has no control of, nor responsibility for. It is the equivalent of my telling everyone I encounter that Google is a poor organization and a bad business, not because I know it to be the case, but because somebody else told me so. It's simply ridiculous.

The issue truly is Google's irresponsible approach to allowing anyone to post anything without taking any responsibility for verifying the accuracy, truthfulness, or appropriateness of the comments. The issue is Google giving a platform for people to malign or impugn people or businesses, without having any checks or balances to ensure that validity, truthfulness, or value of the comments left.

There should be some system in place for comments like this to be removed. I should be able to launch an appeal to Google, who should contact the original poster and require them to provide some form of proof of their actual interaction with me or my organization, and if the original poster can't or won't substantiate their claims and comments, or they can't be contacted or won't respond to contact, then they should be deleted.

Google is conducting itself in a completely reckless and irresponsible manner, giving a platform to irresponsible people who do harm with their comments.

Re: How to contact someone who left a review?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Rob P

I think we have dealt with the issue at hand.

No you cannot contact a reviewer, and at the moment a reviewer is not notified of a response either.

We have raised this issue for several years with GMB and I don't think it will change any time soon. Unfortunately its their platform and their T&C's that we all agreed to when we ticked the box.