My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to change the display picture in Google maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi friends,

I have set up a Google Business listing (verified), and it is listed on Google maps. However, I realised that I cannot control what appears as the display picture in our Google preview listing or Google maps. It always defaults to a picture of our restaurant interior or diners (either uploaded by me or by other googlers), but I will rather it show a picture of our food. That makes a lot of sense since we are trying to promote our restaurant.

I tried setting my food as both profile and display pictures in Google Business, but that doesn't have an effect on the display picture.

Any idea how I can do that? I have attached 2 examples of my restaurant's display picture.Tengawa 1.JPGTengawa 2.JPG

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yihao N
July

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Yihao, 

Sorry that didn't work, looks like Google's hell bent on using an interior/exterior shot for your business. Maybe you could at least try selecting your ideal shot in that category for use as the profile image? If you're going to have to use that kind of shot, you could at least make sure it's the one you want. Given Google's current level of sophistication with their machine vision AI and ability to understand images, I'm not surprised they've started using those techniques to select images, but I wish they gave more control to business owners. The current system is pretty clumsy. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Yihao, 

Unfortunately, Google's kind of a crap shoot when it comes to selecting your profile picture. If you've correctly selected your profile picture and Google still chooses to use a different one, your options are a little limited. You can remove the image it's selecting and hope it chooses better next time, but Google seems to have it's preferences for every industry. I don't work with restaurants so I can't say for sure, but it's possible in your industry Google prefers to show interior or exterior shots to help patrons know they're in the right place, rather than product shots. You can read a little more about the ins and outs here

For what it's worth, your interior shot looks nice. if I was in Singapore, I wouldn't be less likely to visit your establishment with this picture than I would if you had a food shot instead. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: How to change the display picture in Google maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks James! I tried removing 2 of my prior interior shots in hopes that
Google will finally select a food shot, but it ended up selecting another
interior shot from a customer. Now I can't change anything because this
photo belongs to a customer.

Funny how Google is making it more difficult for businesses to advertise or
reach out to people properly.

Thanks for your advice once again!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yihao N
July

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Yihao, 

Sorry that didn't work, looks like Google's hell bent on using an interior/exterior shot for your business. Maybe you could at least try selecting your ideal shot in that category for use as the profile image? If you're going to have to use that kind of shot, you could at least make sure it's the one you want. Given Google's current level of sophistication with their machine vision AI and ability to understand images, I'm not surprised they've started using those techniques to select images, but I wish they gave more control to business owners. The current system is pretty clumsy. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks James!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

Thank you for your altruistic help. I have read the prior conversation, however, I am unable or don´t know how to delete the pictures that are appearing when I look for TIAHRA on google. I have chosen other pictures on my google business but so far there has been no change. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

https://www.google.es/search?q=TIAHRA&oq=TIAHRA&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l5.1909j0j7&sourceid=chrome&i...

Re: How to change the display picture in Google maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kunal,

If the images belong to you (you posted them), you can find them at Menu --> Your Contributions --> Photos on the Google map app.

When you select a photo, you'll see the delete button at the upper right corner.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Try this for the chosen GMB image to see if google will chose it.

Photos
https://support.google.com/business/answer/6103862?hl=en%C2%A0

http://localu.org/blog/your-google-my-business-profile-image-your-most-important-image/

Use a location enabled camera or mark the picture up with its location.
Post the GMB image of choice to the contact page of your website,
other web directory and social sites, posting as appropriate over time.

Andrew.