My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to be found (shown in the GMB 3-pack) by 3rd party brands that we sell

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our company is selling Klipsch, which is a speaker brand manufactured in the USA. We are located in Belgium (www.mediaelectronics.com) and we are local retailers of this brand, we do not manufacture these, so it is not our brand.

We figure in the 3-pack when a user types 'audio' or 'hi-fi', these are generic terms. However, when a user enters either 'mediaelectronics' or 'Klipsch' the local business listing 3-pack does not show our company at all.

I have a couple of questions regarding this issue:

1) Is the issue of not being found by brand Google My Business or Google+ related ?

2) In case the answer to #1 is positive and users search for the brand 'Klipsch' what pages should I create on GMB or Google+ ?

Do I need a brand page yes or no, and if yes, what name and url should I use for that brand page.   

Options:

- 1) name: Klipsch, URL: www.mediaelectronics.com (brand we sell and own company website)

- 2) name: Klipsch, URL: www.klipsch.com (brand we sell and manufacturer's website)

- 3) name: Klipsch, URL: https://plus.google.com/+klipsch/posts (brand we sell and manufacturer's google+ page)

Meaning 1 2 or 3 none or all the above.

We know that this is possible because a local car salesman who owns a garage is found on name, and also the brands that he sells, being Audi and Volkswagen.

3) If local users search for 'Mediaelectronics', on www.google.be my company does not show in the 3-pack, however if 'Mediaelectronics boortmeerbeek' is entered - the city where my business is situated, I do show on the second spot in the 3-pack. Since my browser shows my location as boortmeerbeek at the bottom of the page, I find it peculiar why I still need to add this to my search query.

Thank you for clearing this up.

Kind Regards.

Mike

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to be found (shown in the GMB 3-pack) by 3rd party brands that we sell

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Mike V

Brand pages are not subject of showing on GMaps or on Google with a knowledge graph.

Means you need for your Belgium  local retailers locations  to create listing through GoogleMyBusiness

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't quite understand your answer.

Can you be a bit more precise in your reply in order to achieve what a local car salesman does in our neighborhood. He owns a garage and is found on name, and also on the brands that he sells, being Audi and Volkswagen.

I want to achieve to same but I don't sell cars. I do sell speakers of the brand Klipsch.

So I want to be found localy on Klipsch and my business name , mediaelectronics.

Kind regards,
Mike

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
create a service area business following the steps 1 - 4 in here:
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Very well, my store (mediaelectronics.com) is setup like that! Still it does not show up in 3pack when a user types mediaelectronics. It is only listed when a user types mediaelectronics + location (boortmeerbeek)

What about the brand Klipsch that I would like to be listed on local 3pack? Create a new google my bussines on same address with name Klipsch?

It is still confusing for me , a detailed walk through would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Mike
please provide the URL of the listing as you created it via
GoogleMyBusiness (I mean: not its website but the URL as youu get it from
your dashboard https://business.google.com/manage)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Helmut,

I think you misunderstood the question. Klipsch is a bit like Philips or Sony. An international brand that is sold by electronic outlets and stores all over the world.
We are not Klipsch Belgium, or www.klipsch.be, we are a store like 'EDEKA' or 'Mediamarkt', that sells Klipsch, only we are much smaller. So we are not the distributor of Klipsch in Belgium (B2B) who sells to retailers, but a small local store with one location that sells speakers to consumers. If you want to see the business listing of our company I can provide that:

https://plus.google.com/104704599089365865971/about

When setting up the google my business page we chose option 2 (service area) - here on this image are the 3 choices:

http://searchengineland.com/figz/wp-content/seloads/2014/06/Create_a_Google__Page-2-600x349.png

The google+ location page was created and a brand page Klipsch was created. However I would like to know as it was described in the first post above, whether I need a brand page on GMB, and if yes what I should enter in the 3 fields when creating a brand page, since google is all but clear on this.

After logging in on Google My Business and opening the menu on the left, there is an option 'add a brand page', when clicking on that you get a new page with 3 options:

here is a screenshot of that page:

http://postimg.org/image/n5ff84kxn/

Referring to my 1st post, and given the choice of the three options above, I would like to know what to input in the first two fields when creating a brand page for my business since we do not make or manufacture a unique product with our own brand name, but sell an international product branded by someone else in this case Klipsch to consumers.

As an analogy we are a bit like the local Mac Donalds', and we sell brands like 'Big Mac', 'Filet o Fish' which are global brands to the public... However when someone who lives in our neighbourhood and types Big Mac or Filet O Fish instead of Mac Donalds in the search bar of www.google.be, you would still be listed in the 3-pack with 'Mac Donald's' as the company name. That is what we want to achieve, but with Klipsch.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike V

So the question is how to get Google to recognise that your store sells Klipsch and displays your business page in local pack results.

This is about Signals.

The Simple Bit:

Your business page >> you don't mention that you sell Klipsch in your business description.

screencapture (44).png

Now for the Technical stuff:

Firstly I tried to test your Home page in the structured data testing tool and Google cannot read it. I also did a site: query and your home page is not indexed, so you have a big issue there.

So I tested a category page which worked.

1) You don't have LocalBusiness schema markup attached >> this is what we need to send signals to Google.

2) All your products have structured data errors, thats a seperate issue for you to rectify.

You need to implement LocalBusiness structured data markup running sitewide. I recommend JSON and add it to the header or footer.php file.

https://schema.org/LocalBusiness

Then correct your product schema and include brand markup on products.

https://schema.org/Product

And finally test using the Google tool: https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/u/0/

Remember, these are all signals, you still need to market the business and the brand you are selling to build up external mentions pointing back to your site.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tim,

That already makes more sense to me, thank you for clearing that up. The first easy part about changing the business page on google+ as you call it should be straightforward.

Now for the technical stuff, if I understand correctly so we are both on the same page:

1) You said you tested my home page, which one would that be ? I tested www.mediaelectronics.com with and without /nl and I got a 200 Error (not found). Since I work with Prestashop I don't have a static HTML page before users click on the store, but they are redirected automatically to the right subdomain depending on their location. Users from holland get /nl, users from france get /fr and users from belgium get /be. This was set up in the Google Webmaster tools.
So, for sitewide coverage, would it be a good idea then to create a static index.html page as a landing page for my website where the LocalBusiness schema and other necessaries are embedded before letting the users click to the store, or will a copy of the JSON script ammended with the details of my business suffice if copied in the index.php file.

2) Would the correction of the product schema and the brand markup again be solved by using correct JSON data and adding them to the footer of the product page this time, instead of on the main page ?

3) What is the difference between using microdata and JSON ? On the page here: https://schema.org/Product when looking at the examples there are a few tabs where you can select Microdata and the JSON scripts. I used Microdata to tag the product images on my site with the brand "klipsch".

4) What do you mean when you said you did a site query, is that a tool I should be aware of ?

5) My website was added to the 'website' field on the Location page of Google My Business, is that enough to send the signal you speak of to google after all above points have been rectified ?

6) Can I safely remove the Klipsch brand page that I created in GMB since it has no positive effect on branding for my company and GMB does not show it anyway ?

7) What is the Labels option for on the Location page of GMB is it related to branding ?

Thank you Tim for your time and effort.

Kind Regards

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim,

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.Thanks to your expert advice, we have now been able to solve all problems to the best of our knowledge.

An index.php file was added to each subfolder as shown below, which solved the 200 status error (page not indexed - found) in the sdtt tool.

www.mysite.com/be/index.php - (belgium)
www.mysite.com/fr/index.php - (france)
www.mysite.com/nl/index.php - (holland)

We have submitted the main site and its three subfolders above in the Google webmaster tools each targeted at a specific country. The www.mysite.com was left unspecified.
The dot.com (where the main site is hosted) has a master Sitemaps file.

This master file references to 3 specific sub sitemap.xml files that target each different subfolder and country.

Concerning sitemaps two questions thus arise.

1) Is it required (read harmful or good) to submit each sub-sitemap separately in the Google Webmaster Tools sitemap submitter, or is it sufficient to only submit the master-xml file of the dot.com domain.

2) We found it a good idea to copy the respective physical sub-sitemap xml file (each targeted by country) in each of the subfolders. Is this harmful or good ?

Following your advice we have now taken the necessary steps to include one brand. How would one go about for pushing more than one brand. Would it suffice to add two or three other brand names to the mix ?

Thank you again Tim for taking the time to guide us in the right direction.