My Business
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How to Remove Web Scraped Photos from Maps and Business Listings?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

*REPOST* (Original post from 12:30pm EST today seems to have been removed.)

Help! An image that was scraped from our company web site is displaying in maps/business listings despite (1) my repeated requests for removal, (2) deleting the original photo from our web site, and (3) flagging the photo as poor quality multiple times. It is available on our web site as part of an album from a Halloween event, to offer a fun look at office activities, but it is not meant to singularly represent this doctor as part of his online profile. 

Link to Photo in Listing

1. I have claimed all of our business listings on Google. We are a large medical practice with multiple listings.
  2. This photo was not uploaded to Google by me, so I do not have the trash can option to delete it.
  3. I have deleted the original photo from our web site, which is listed as the original source of the photo.
  4. I requested removal via the removal tool in Search Console on April 5, and it shows the status as "Removed". 
  5. I have flagged the photo multiple times as Poor Image Quality. It is also a copyright violation, but I'm not getting the lawyer involved until absolutely necessary. 
  6. The photo is STILL on google maps/business results. 

**I desperately need step by step instructions that will ensure removal of ANY unwanted photos from a business listing.**

We have other scraped images displaying on other listings, as well as photos uploaded by other Google users that do not represent our business well. If we have gone to the trouble of claiming our listings and managing these profiles, we should have FULL control over what appears as part of these listings. Why do so many online services assume the general public can/should have more control than the business owners? So frustrating. (Facebook does this also.)

I look forward to any help in responses, thanks! 

ETA: GMB Profile Link

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Remove Web Scraped Photos from Maps and Business Listings?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Laurel M

So the official line is to report it as you have. Which people do get results from, but months later. I can only guess its due to an insanely long queue.

I have reported the image for you.

You can add additional ones to this thread and I can escalate these to for removal.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks? :) I'm guessing if there's an insanely long queue, it's because Google is allowing all these scraped/crowd-sourced photos into business listings and business owners clearly do not want them.

Do you have any insight on the Removal Tool in Search Console? This particular photo is marked as "Removed" on my request from April 5, yet it's still there in the map search results. Clearly it is cached or otherwise stored somewhere. Is there any other place to request removal? 

Lastly, does the "Preferred Photo" option still exist anywhere in GMB? I found that as a solution to similar inquiries, but those instructions are at least 1-2 years old. I do not see the three dots on photos in GMB profile management now. I find that if I do add a cover photo, or any other photos, Google defaults to those as the primary image in search results, rather than the chosen profile photo. 

Photo for removal/escalation (Devan Walicek)

Incorrect Street View Photos

If you are able to escalate these as well, it would be great. These are all over the doctor profiles for one office, they are supposed to be the street view(s), but they are all wrong - dumpsters on the back side of the wrong building. 

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Thanks! Guess I will just cross my fingers that the very problematic photo is removed soon.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Laurel M

Well technically they were on your site and labeled with the correct name that matched.

Even though the page and image was removed from site, GMB and Maps works on multiple data sets and does not crawl as often as normal web Google bot.

It could be a year before Annabot ( GMB / maps ) crawls that image and realises its gone. ( Super flaw )

As per street view, you can report the image, but street view only gets updated on next visit. You could try moving the PIN marker slightly so that the street view adjusts and displays the image without the dumpsters.

You could also use the street view app and create an additional street view, however it wont remove the current one.

I will report the image, I assume its the group photo.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Tim Capper

We have many photos on our web site, but we provide them in context with captions about the various events and activities. We would never use a single candid photo to professionally represent our business or an individual doctor.

Is it Google's stance that any web photo is fair game for removal and caching for use on maps listings, in spite of web content copyright? Because if so I have a LOT of cleaning up to do... :-/

I will check out the street view app, looks like a nice tool. Thanks for your help!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@TimCapper 

Just checking back on my last inquiry - is it Google's stance that any web site photo is fair game to be cached by Google for map and business listings, regardless of copyright? I need to know in order to manage our content and prevent this from happening again. Please advise, thanks so much! 

Re: How to Remove Web Scraped Photos from Maps and Business Listings?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Laurel M

I think this a legacy issue when they first rolled this out last year, but I think they have refined this now, because I am not seeing many "scraped" images appearing in map images from regular sites.

They have either gotten better or stopped it all together, I will see what I can find out